worlds smallest Orpington egg ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jafo, Oct 26, 2014.

1. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    [​IMG]

Hi ! Been a long time since we posted in BYC, but this I had to ask, anyone ever see such a tiny egg from a 6 month old Buff Orpington ??? We always get them ALMOST normal size from new girls, but NEVER one have I seen this small ! Our niece went to get the eggs, my wife says "how many"? and Sara says, 5, and a premie ! It's the size of a robins' egg. perfect!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    No I have not..but have experience with only 3 BO's..all 3 have laid large to xl from their first eggs. Mine are hatchery chickens and may not be the norm, but there eggs are also always lighter than that one. But have the same shape.

My BR's all started with that size and they slowly enlarged. Could it be one of the new layers is a mixed breed?

3. jafo

May 2, 2009
    WELL, THE GENES COULD BE MIXED BUT THEY ALL LOOK, AND ARE SPOSSED TO BE BLONDE BUFF ORPS. (hate caplock) They were all spossed to be pullets too, but got a rooster outa the deal as well. Tractor Supply

4. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My BO has always laid small eggs. Not quite that small, mind you!

I have read countless reports that Orpingtons are meant to lay large brown eggs, but what do I get from mine? Small, creamy white ones!

One girl, now 11 months, is just starting to put up 60 - 62 gram eggs, which is great. But before that her eggs never exceeded 51 grams, and sometimes were as small as 48 grams.

The other BO has stopped laying recently, but always laid 50 - 52 gram eggs as well. She had started to improve her egg size too, when I started adding a supplement to their diet, but then she went broody and well.... no more eggs.

My RIR's in contrast, put up large to extra large eggs right from the get-go. Their average is 70 - 72 grams, but we have had some at 80 grams and one whopper at 118 grams!

Krista

5. jafo

May 2, 2009
    don't know the weight here, I'll check tomorrow ;) we had RIR too, one left, but they were prolific egglayers !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by