World's worst garden, world's best eggies!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimboolah, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kimboolah

kimboolah Songster

Todays "haul"--6 pea pods and a strange assortment of big/small/long/stubby eggs![​IMG]

2. Renee

Renee Songster

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hmmm, have those chickens been getting into the pea patch?

3. kimboolah

kimboolah Songster

no, they can't get in there, but we haven't had enough warm days so the only thing that is really thriving are my squash and pumpkins. I have a few tomatos and a bunch of peppers, but it's all pretty minimal and if I had been depending on this garden to feed our family, we would be in big trouble and VERY skinny. [​IMG]

It's a straw bale garden--a new experiment this year and I like doing it this way, but the weather is really not cooperating!

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Quote:I tried the strawbale method this year and my garden is pitiful!

The only step I skipped was topping the bales with ammonium nitrate, but I did put a 3" layer of my good, rich composted manure on top before planting along with lots of Miracle Gro.

Next year the bales will become the bottom layer in a raised bed garden, topped with compost.
    This will be the first year I haven't been overrun with tomatoes & squash.
    The only things growing well are the sweet potatoes I planted directly in compost.

stoopid straw bales....[​IMG]

5. hikerchick

hikerchick Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I thought peas liked it cool.

6. lalaland

lalaland Crowing

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    it sure has been a tough garden year here in Minnesota - so cold all the tomatoes are still green and like rocks (in the 40's and 50's at night!). I have gorgeous eggplant plants, but no fruit, same with the sweet peppers. But, potatoes and cabbage and squash are going great.

It is funny to have it be august and NO TOMATOES!

Deer ate my beans and strawberries. Oh well, I have eggs to eat:cool:[​IMG]

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Songster

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    the only thing i got this yr was peas too.. last fall we had a bunch of wet stove pellets... so dumped about 7 bags on the garden.. i looked them up they are supposed to be organic and hard wood.. but the garden was all yellow.. nothing but peas grew.. there must be something besides wood in them...this fall we are getting about 5 yds of horse manure and all the chicken compost and putting it on and tilling it in.. hopefully next spring the garden will grow. such hard work weeding and carefully tending a 75x 100' garden to get nothing.. [​IMG]

8. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:So did I. We planted our peas way late, but the pods are actually appearing. We got AT LEAST 40 tomatoes on our one plant- and we didn't even try! This is our first year growing food, but we've done pretty well. Lettuce grew even though it was planted late, lots of tomatoes, peppers have done well, and the peas look like they might work. Still waiting for cantaloupes. [​IMG] We planted our stuff in a raised bed made of cinder blocks, except for the peas and lettuce, which are in pots and a tiny raised bed, respectively. Must be the straw bales.

9. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:I didn't know you could grow things in Minnesota. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: