Worm Control for egg laying hens

jmass

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Marion
I was wondering if DE is all that is needed for worm control in laying hens. I have a liquid wormer that can be mixed in the drinking water but then you can not keep the eggs for a few weeks after deworming. So I really dont want to use the liquid. I am currently just adding DE to the feed every month or so. Do you think DE alone is all that is needed?

thumbsup.gif

It's not a good idea to worm just for the heck of it. It stresses the hen's and is not needed unless you have some reason to believe they have worms.
There is a different treatment for different kinds of worms anyway.

Go to search and type in worms and you will get lots of info.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in my first year of having chickens and am still learning. What is DE? A neighbor gave me some wazine that I used early on but no that I'm getting eggs I don't want to use it.

The most common is the round worm, and you can see them wiggling in fresh chicken poo. They're long, thin, white worms. Nasty little buggers.

Also check to see if the combs of your chickens are bright red or pale. A pale comb is an indication of worms.

I started adding a teaspoon full of apple cider vinegar to each gallon of drinking water. It's supposed to change the PH level of the digestive tract and make it less hospitable to worms. Some people use it for horses too.

Can't promise that it works, but haven't seen round worms since I've been using it.

Kathy in Texas

Thank you chicken women! So many people seem to be worming their chickens just for the heck of it! From my understanding chickens can have a low level of some worms in their system and it will not hurt them. DE will keep the worm levels down. If they are ill or a bad infestation is suspected a fecal float should be done to determine the worm, (unless it is totally obvious in the poo), so that the right wormer can be used. There are instructions on here somewhere on how to do a fecal float.

ETA--I cannot find that link on how to do your own float, does anyone know that thread? Very informational.

Last edited:
Hen'nbiddies :

Can kids get worms from handling the chickens? Sounds dumb but I am new to this!

Yes, children can get worms from handling any animal that has worms. However, unless the animal infestation is large and the children don't wash their hands it is not very common. Just make sure everyone washes their hands and the clothes used around animals. Keep things as clean as possible and cull old, worn out layers. Parasites are a lot more likely to infest when the immune system is low or the animal is weak or sickly. I agree with many others on here, it is not a good idea to worm just "because". If there are no visible worms, don't treat. DE and ACV do seem to have some effects on controlling internal parasites. I use both and have yet to see any worms in my birds.​

My vet told me that using apple cider vinager and De should take care of worms. He also said to add ground RAW pumpkin seeds to the treats.

Back
Top Bottom