worm ducks ???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BHep, Oct 29, 2011.

1. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Do I worm the ducks ??? I wormed my chickens & Guineas. I did not see any worming info on the stickey. I have Valbazan or safe-guard. Any input..... PLEASE [​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm wondering the same thing. I have Wazine.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Do you mean worm them preventatively?
    2 schools of thought on that, actually. I know folks that do it both ways.
    For worming my ducks, though, I use Ivermectin Pour-On. Good stuff that works for both internal AND external parasites.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Hi BHep, when I worm my chickens my ducks get wormed because they are all together and drink out of the same buckets, I haven't used Valbazen or safeguad on them because I usually worm with Wazine then follow up with Epernix Pour on Ducks and geese are more resistant to getting worms than chickens and Guineas are, but that doesn't mean they can't get them. They would have to live in pretty nasty conditions for it to happen though. I'm sure others will weigh in on this though.

5. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Ok.. Here is the situation....... I wormed my chickens in Sept. Used Ivermectin. Well a few days ago, I see round worms in the poop. NOT GOOD!! So I start searching around BYC. Find out Ivermectin is NOT a good choice of wormer for chickens. It is not effective on internal parasite, great on external parasites. [​IMG] So run out, buy Valbazan and worm the flock & the Guineas. Safe-guard for the peas.
    Valbazan WORKS..... the worms are being expelled all over, we are scooping up the poop.

My ducks have their own pen but free range with everyone else. So I think I need to worm them .... Does anyone use the Valbazan or Safe-guard on their ducks & geese. I think I need to ask the geese owners too. [​IMG]

THANK YOU !!! [​IMG]

6. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Quote:Hi BHep, when I worm my chickens my ducks get wormed because they are all together and drink out of the same buckets, I haven't used Valbazen or safeguad on them because I usually worm with Wazine then follow up with Epernix Pour on Ducks and geese are more resistant to getting worms than chickens and Guineas are, but that doesn't mean they can't get them. They would have to live in pretty nasty conditions for it to happen though. I'm sure others will weigh in on this though.

THANKS ML.... Have missed you on the NC thread. [​IMG]

Since the all free range together.......... I worry. Think I will go ahead and worm the tonight when they come up to their pen. I want everyone happy & healthy !

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

THANKS ML.... Have missed you on the NC thread. [​IMG]

Since the all free range together.......... I worry. Think I will go ahead and worm the tonight when they come up to their pen. I want everyone happy & healthy !

Probably a good idea, I freak out when i see a worm and I am a poop watcher. My ducks and goose haven't ever had a problem with the wormers I've used. I did use Valbazen on my chickens but haven't used it on my Ducks. When I worm I do use Nutri Drench for a few days after and also try to set out some good quality yogurt for their tummys.

8. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG]

9. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    around here ivermectin doesn't work on any internal parasites anymore... ok I think for the external ones, but I've stopped using it on all my animals because it's pretty much a waste of money. everything internal is resistant to ivermectin at this point. at least where we are.

so wazine, safeguard and valibazen are ok in ducks and geese?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by