Worm help (with gross picture) and weird dander question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by superchemicalgirl, Aug 21, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This is why you quarantine!!!!

I have 3 chicks that I got at a swap. I quarantined them in my basement and was thinking everything was going well, as it would be 3 weeks of quarantine done this Sunday. They've been getting bored with their box recently and have decided to "roost" at night on the top of the box. I'm not pleased with it for all the poo in the morning that needs cleaning up but I'm concerned that they'd get tangled up in a net if I netted the top.
    Anyway, this morning I found THIS on the floor in their poo:
    [​IMG]

EEK!

I'm aware it's a worm. But what to treat it with? They're also putting off this "dander" stuff that looks like flakes of feather shafts. I haven't seen any lice or mites but I don't recall my 31 other chicks putting that stuff out when they were brooding in my basement. You can see that dander stuff in the picture too, any ideas about it?

EwEwEw.

2. silkiesforme

silkiesforme Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Kansas
    Looks like an ascaris to me. Do you have any feed or farm stores open nearby today? Ask your vet or someone else on here once mentioned giving them Ivermectin in their water for scaly legs, that would take care of the worms too.

3. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    there is safeguard and ivemec which is short for the one listed above also look at night for mites some only feed at night. also look really good around vent for lice / mites you really have to part that fluff good !
    someone should be able to tell you a dose.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since this is most likely a worm infestation and that is a roundworm, you can safely assume they're loaded with roundworms. I recommend you use wazine 17 to get rid of those large roundworms first. Then 2 weeks later use safeguard or ivermectin.

5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Wazine is in their water now. I also dusted them with permethrin and will repeat dusting in 14 days. Their legs look ok, not really scaly, but at this point... I'm treating.

I got ivermectin with praziquantel paste for horses and will follow up with that (appropriately dosed for chickens and not a 1300 lb horse) in 2 weeks.

Ick.

I am so glad I quarantined. Doing this with 33 total chickens would be a nightmare.

6. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Great job! Leave the wazine out for 24 hours then replace with regular freshwater. In 10 days give them each a "BB" size piece of the paste. You can put it on a small piece of bread and give each chicken a piece of bread, they gobble it up. I've used Zimectrin Gold as well. It not only kills roundworms and other types of worms because of the ivermectin; the praziquantel kills tapeworms as well. After a day or 2 of using wazine, you should see improvement in their behavior. Then provide them with plain yogurt or buttermilk, scrambled egg mixed in their feed to make a mash and feed it to them. The probiotics will help improve immunity and the eggs provide extra protein. Feed them the mixture for several days....the same after using the zimectrin gold.

7. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Thanks for the help.

Funny thing is their behaviour is fine, they're active and energetic although they weren't when I first got them 3 weeks ago. The 3rd day I had them I switched them to 22% protein crumbles and about 10 meal worms each a day and they started looking and acting better. They're weird and won't eat anything like scrambled eggs - although will tolerate yogurt.

Again, thanks everyone for the help. The worm freaked me out a bit this morning but I'm ok now.

Time to go paint the coop extension and shingle it. [​IMG]

8. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Dawg 53 has this down pat!!!! great gameplan, fyi...don't know if anyone has tryed this way, but I was told by a
    master breeder out here that you can put gloves on and take the ivermectin paste for horses and rub it on
    your chickens leg, and it gets absorbed into the body..just a interesting option, have you every tryed it
    Dawg53?

9. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    nasty worm but great post! I will deworm mine soon and didn't know I could use horse wormer. That will deworm all of my chickens if it's only a BB per bird!

10. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sweetpeaswan. No. I've never done that with the paste, but have used ivermectin pour on for suspected scaly leg mites. Turns out it wasnt scaly leg mites. I tend to use wazine first, then use valbazen, safeguard or ivermectin in rotation. I just completed a worming cycle and will be switching to eprinex in the next cycle....tired of tossing eggs in the garbage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by