Worm identification and treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by butterfliesdoku, Apr 13, 2016.

1. butterfliesdoku

butterfliesdoku Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    So one of the girls in my flock has worms and I am now treating the whole flock. I think they look like tapeworms as they look similar to when one of my dogs had tapeworms last summer. I treated the flock with wazine for 24 hours in their drinking water and they will need their next dose in 8 days. Will wazine solve my problem? What if in 8 days I use ivermectin instead of wazine?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like tape worms, but wazine only treats roundworms. Tapes are treated with Zimectrin Gold or praziquantel horse wormer pastes. There are numerous threads about tapeworm treatment by doing a search at the top of this page.

3. butterfliesdoku

Mar 11, 2015
    Oh darn. Thanks!

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Valbazen liquid goat wormer given orally also works, but you have to re-dose your entire flock in five days to get the tapes (and any other worm a chicken can get).

MrsB

5. butterfliesdoku

Mar 11, 2015
    Can I use this instead of the second dose of Wazine or should I do dose #2 of wazine and then do the Valbazen?

1 person likes this.
  6. butterfliesdoku

Mar 11, 2015
    Never mind just did a search for Valbazen. I think I'll go that route. Thank you both for your time and help.

7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'm sure you've found it already, but here's the dosage:

.5ml/cc for adult, standard chickens or .25ml/cc for bantams and pullets/cockerels.

Give orally undiluted via syringe. Repeat in five days for tapes. :)

MrsB

1 person likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you find you still need to treat for tapeworms, you could try EquiMAX horse paste. Dose would be is 0.16 ml per five pounds.
    [​IMG]

You could also use Zimectrin Gold, but you would have to use twice as much.

-Kathy

9. butterfliesdoku

Mar 11, 2015
    I treated with Wazine then 10 days later I treated with Zimectrin Gold. Would I have to dose again with the Zimectrin?

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by