"worm" identification help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenE, Jan 20, 2019.

1. chickenE

chickenE Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Cary, NC
    I need help identifying this "worm" or possibly larvae.

A little background:

About two weeks ago, one hen had a huge poop which look like milk poured on the ground. I took her to the vet. They identified a large number of spore forming bacteria in her poop and a mild upper respiratory infection, but were unable to give a specific diagnosis. They put her on an antibiotic and an antiparasite medicine. She has been quarantined. She has not fully recovered, poops have improved but not normal, some appetite but not normal yet.

Yesterday we added more sandbox grade sand to the run area. Last night we had a rain. I went out this morning and there was small puddle in the run with about 15 of these "worms" floating and swimming in it. By the time I came back in to get to get my camera, there was only one left.

All "worms" were the same length, approximately 0.5". They all had a dark spot on one end.

Any ideas what they are? I'm wondering if they could give a clue for my sick hen.

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

• worm.jpg
      worm.jpg
      File size:
      142.5 KB
      Views:
  2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    That isn't a 'worm' in the sense of a internal parasite that would infect a chicken. It's a maggot or other larvae. I would look around for anything rotting or decomposing that may be hosting the larvae, and I would check all your birds for fly strike to be safe. Fly strike can happen when droppings cling to the feathers around the vent, or to any open wound.
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

3. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster

Jan 1, 2013
    That looks like a darkling beetle larva. Not a parasite.

For what it's worth, chickens love love love to eat these.

chickenE likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Larva yes. Darkling beetle, aka meal worm... NOT even close. I raise them and they look nothing like that... at least to me. :confused:

[​IMG]

Sue Gremlin and chickenE like this.
  5. chickenE

chickenE Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Cary, NC
    Thanks so much for the responses.

Our chicken does have a little poop stuck on her from the diarrhea. I will check her for signs of flystrike.

6. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster

Jan 1, 2013
    Fair, but there are thousands (I think tens of thousands) of different kinds of darkling beetles. The segmented body and dark-colored head are what made me make that ID. I do not think it's a fly larva because of that. Of course, I could be completely off-base and it could be a meal moth larva, too. In any case, I am pretty sure that's an environmental larva and not a parasitic one.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Great point. :highfive:

DobieLover, coach723 and chickenE like this.
  8. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Gross question, but do they have legs? Maggots don't have legs, worms don't have legs, moth and beetle larvae have legs. For now going on top view only it looks like a meal moth larvae.:) indian_meal_moth_cat_eric.jpg

chickenE and Sue Gremlin like this.
  9. WunnySharbit

WunnySharbit Chirping

Nov 23, 2018
    It looks like a wireworm to me. Larva of click beetles. They live in the soil for 2-5 years before pupating. They are responsible for the hole in, esp, potatoes. Chix love them! Highly annoying, but not parasitic--HOWEVER--if the chix had yucky tush and sat on them, they could, theoretically, migrate to the poo and inside. Not likely, but there ya go.

chickenE and Sue Gremlin like this.
  10. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster

Jan 1, 2013
    yup, beetle and moth larvae have legs, and fly larvae do not.

chickenE likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: