Worm in egg

Isleschicks

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 2, 2013
My daughter-in-law sent me this picture today. The egg is from my flock - the while powder is flour for pancakes. That sure loos like a worm in the egg to me. I didn't know that chickens could pass worms in their eggs. I cracked t10 more eggs this morning all from the last 24 hours and didn't find anything that looks like a worm. Can anybody tell me what this is and what I should do about it?

I just treated their water with vinegar and put some garlic in their feed after reading several posts on the internet. Also cleaned coop and put in new shavings - I do this weekly anyway. It is raining today so their run is wet and muddy in places. I will put some sand in it tomorrow.

I have 8 birds. New Hampshire reds, Rhode Island reds, and one black one of unknown parentage. The black one is about 3 years old and the reds are all nearing their first birthday. Their coop is 4 x 8 not counting brood boxes. Their run i 10' x 20' and they get to free range around two acres several times a week. They are laying very well - 6 to 8 eggs a day of varying sizes.

Thanks for any information/help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_131547-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210430_131547-01.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 39
Did she fish it out and get more photos?
To me from what I can see, it looks like a roundworm.

Vinegar and garlic will not deworm your flock.
Go to TSC and get Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer. Dose each bird with .23ml per pound of weight orally once, then repeat in 10 days. This will treat roundworms only.

For all other types of worms including Roundworms but excluding Tapeworms, dose Safeguard at .23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Did she fish it out and get more photos?
To me from what I can see, it looks like a roundworm.

Vinegar and garlic will not deworm your flock.
Go to TSC and get Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer. Dose each bird with .23ml per pound of weight orally once, then repeat in 10 days. This will treat roundworms only.

For all other types of worms including Roundworms but excluding Tapeworms, dose Safeguard at .23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
No, she didn't fish it out. I believe it went right into the trash and the breakfast menu was changed to oatmeal. I live on an island and don't have access to any stores today, however, I have to go to the mainland tomorrow so will visit the Tractor Supply store and see what they have. Thanks.

No, she didn't fish it out. I believe it went right into the trash and the breakfast menu was changed to oatmeal. I live on an island and don't have access to any stores today, however, I have to go to the mainland tomorrow so will visit the Tractor Supply store and see what they have. Thanks.
Also, is it common for worms to show up inside the egg? I thought they were passed through feces.

Back
Top Bottom