worm in poop of week old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TeamChaos, Sep 22, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Found a tiny white worm wiggling in the poop of a rescued chick- what kind of worm would that be? I want to make sure I use the appropriate wormer. Thanks.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I lwas told to dispense worm medicine to my flock every six months, but I have decided not worming them at all unless I am seeing them acting like they have worms (droopiness, emaciation and diarrhea). The Urban Farm Store said buy a small bottle of chicken wormer from your local feed store, or you can order from the 'net, too. It simply involves adding some liquid medicine to their drinking water. Carefully follow the directions on the bottle.

There you go,

Steve

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Yes, thanks. I've wormed my adult chickens before but I've never actually SEEN a worm in the poop- especially not in a week old chicken. She's not from my flock, so I'm wondering what she might have picked up and what it's life cycle. threat level is. Maybe a caecal worm?

4. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Quote:It's most likely a round worm, I've seen them in chicken's poop alot.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would be very concerned about worming a chick that young. Gonna send someone in here to look at your thread. He's an expert on the subject. He'll be able to tell you what's best, I'm sure.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Steve, would you be referring to wazine? Only works on roundworms.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    For a week old chick, dose 1/10cc valbazen orally, repeat in 10 days, same dosage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by