worm in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nknkdvt, Dec 9, 2013.

1. nknkdvt

nknkdvt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Texas
    Have been battling worms. Not sure where they came from but want to get rid of them. One of my hens was sick, lethargic and anemic so took her to the Vet. She was diagnosed with strongyloids and given medication for this. I also gave her (and all of my other chickens Valbezen and 10 days later another dose of Valbazen). The last dose was 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for her to recover- she's inside because it's cold (and perhaps getting kind of spoiled). I'm feeding her kitten food due to high protein and she gets to go outside with close supervision (so the other chickens don't kill her) she appears to be slowly recovering.
    Here's my concern: tonight I saw a dead Roundworm in her poop (yuck). WHY? How long does it take for the dead worms to get out of her system? Or does she still have an infestation that I haven't addressed? Any advise?? SOS

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Give her one more dose of valbazen, 1/2cc orally undiluted (make sure you shake the bottle well.) Stop the kitten food and give her scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk 3 hours after dosing with the valbazen. Continue feeding her the scrambled egg/buttermilk mixture for several days, then mix her layer feed into it to make a mash to eat for several more days. Then just feed her the layer feed thereafter.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I agree with dawg53. [​IMG]

4. nknkdvt

nknkdvt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Texas
    Hey Dawg, U R Awesome. She is back to normal now and I just reintroduced her back to the flock. She fit right in and is roosting with them (no fights etc). It took her awhile to gain her weight back and now she's a little spoiled ie wants to come inside the house and sleep in her crate. Thank you for telling me what to do to save her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by