1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worm/mites? or worthless chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by josh, Apr 1, 2009.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    My chickens look scragly. They have feathers out of their heads and the feathers on the rest of thier body don't look so good. What could be the problem and how to fix it? They don't lay real well either. One day 0 e g g s then 2 then 5 or 6. Could it be worms or something. What do I need to treat them. 2 are silkies. 4 bantams and 5 ??

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Sounds to me like they are molting. Don't worry- they'll get over it and back to their egg-laying duties.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure they're getting a good commercial feed such as layer crumbles or pellets. They may benefit from extra protein too.

As you suggest, check for worms and other parasites so we can help you with that.

How old?
    What is their diet and setup?

They're not worthless, they're chickens![​IMG]

4. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I feed them a layer crumble. Feed them thier eggs shells back. They have fresh grass everyday. I don't know thier age. I bought them at auction. I have one I know is less than a year about 9 months bantam. I have 2 silkies young they have laid about 3 eggs total in a month might still be to young.

5. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    They may benefit from extra protein too.

What would I feed for extra protein?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by