1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Worm Off - advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindy99, Nov 19, 2010.

1. cindy99

cindy99 Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    I am going to give my girls Worm Off as I believe that they have worms. It is in pill form and says 1 tablet per 4 lbs. The bottle says to retreat in 10 days. Murray McMurray website says not to eat the eggs for 17 days. So 27 days with NO EGGS and one of my little ones just laid her first egg today. [​IMG]

My questions:

Can the dog eat the eggs?

Do I have to retreat them in 10 days?

Can I stick the pill in a raisin?

I have 9 hens (8 Buff Orp. just starting to lay and 1 hen that has been laying for a few months).

Thank you!!

2. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am not familiar with this particular wormer, but most wormers require the retreat to kill hatching eggs. Most wormers do not kill the eggs - - just the live worms. So, 10 days after treating the first time, you retreat to kill any new worms from the hatching eggs.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Worm Off are piperazine tablets used to get rid of roundworms only. Cindy99, you would have been better off purchasing wazine 17 for the same price, which is the the same thing and less of a headache to dose and administer since it's a liquid mixed in water. The eggs are ok for dogs, piperazine doesnt affect dogs. I recommend you use a different 'broad spectrum' wormer in 10 days, such as; safeguard, valbazen or ivermectin. I dont know if you can stick the pill in a raisin, a small piece of bread would be easier. BTW, the egg withdrawal period for the wazine liquid is 14 days, the secondary wormers I mentioned are 14 days as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by