Worm or egg?!?

Eddie12109

🌼🐓🐓⚽️
Nov 14, 2020
Hi all,
I have a hen with ascites, she hasn’t laid an egg in over a month.

I have started deworming her yesterday at 1.25 ml of safeguard liquid for goats. I did this just to be safe, nothing made me think she has worms.

it is night here so she has about 5 poops under her and they are all normal, I looked at her butt and I saw this. It feels like spaghetti. Could it be an egg membrane or a worm?!
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony @azygous

Attachments

• BB59372B-ED7E-4627-A298-5B8B2A8AE81B.jpeg
    BB59372B-ED7E-4627-A298-5B8B2A8AE81B.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 6C50B226-AE98-4115-BF89-C7D3A9FF3B49.jpeg
    6C50B226-AE98-4115-BF89-C7D3A9FF3B49.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 6
I just pulled it apart and it looks like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 6
I would image an egg material because I squeezed it more and this is what came out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi all,
I have a hen with ascites, she hasn’t laid an egg in over a month.

I have started deworming her yesterday at 1.25 ml of safeguard liquid for goats. I did this just to be safe, nothing made me think she has worms.

it is night here so she has about 5 poops under her and they are all normal, I looked at her butt and I saw this. It feels like spaghetti. Could it be an egg membrane or a worm?!
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony @azygous
Looks like a roundworm to me.

Are you treating her with the Safeguard for 5 days in a row or once, then repeat in 10 days?

Just asking - I think I would treat for the 5 days in a row - this will take care of most types of worms that chickens can have except for tapeworms.

5 days in a row, so I should deworm the rest of the flock as well?
She has been sitting in the nesting box lately so that’s why I am thinking some egg material but yeah I’m still going to treat for worms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 5
5 days in a row, so I should deworm the rest of the flock as well?
She has been sitting in the nesting box lately so that’s why I am thinking some egg material but yeah I’m still going to treat for worms.
I would. Might as well treat them all while you're at it.

Poor girl! Hopefully the de-worming will make her feel a little better.

Back
Top Bottom