Worm Out Gel versus Wormer Deluxe Powder

paneubert

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 20, 2015
Snohomish County, Washington State
My Coop
My Coop
Hello folks. Completely hypothetical here. Don't even have any birds at the moment. I was just browsing some of the Praziquantel/Oxfendazole combos on the market and cant seem to wrap my head around the dosage discrepancies of two products that contain the same active ingredients. Both have been discussed individually a little bit on here before, but not to any great extent or in any great detail from what I can find.

WormOut Gel - Praziquantel 200 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 200 mg/ml
Dose is 47 ml per gallon per day. So...... 9.4 grams of each of the active ingredients per gallon, right?

Wormer Deluxe Powder - 10% Praziquantel and 10% Oxfendazole
Dose is 5 grams per gallon per day. So........ 500 mg of each of the active ingredients per gallon, right?

Am I correct in seeing a MASSIVE difference in the active ingredient for the finished gallon of each? Mostly looking for a math check here I suppose.

I have used WormOut in the past, but just came across the Wormer Deluxe, advertised as a much more "cost effective" water soluble option, due to the same active ingredients. But if the concentration of the active ingredients in the finished product are correct by my calculations, the powder is nowhere near being a much more "cost effective" water soluble option.

Tagging @casportpony due to math skills and common sense logic. Hahaha.

P.S. The powder dosage seems a lot closer to what I would expect from looking at the therapeutic levels of the drugs. The Gel looks like it is massively strong.

WormOut Gel - Praziquantel 200 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 200 mg/ml
I think this one is praziquantel 20 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 20 mg/ml :idunno
wormout gel_1.png

I think this one is praziquantel 20 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 20 mg/ml :idunno
View attachment 1632227

That would make a lot more sense. So now the question is why I have:

"Praziquantel 200 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 200 mg/ml" in my notes. Haha. I need to dig out my bottle of the gel to see what it says. Couple years old by this point.

Probably my own error somewhere along the line.

That would make a lot more sense. So now the question is why I have:

"Praziquantel 200 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 200 mg/ml" in my notes. Haha. I need to dig out my bottle of the gel to see what it says. Couple years old by this point.

Probably my own error somewhere along the line.
Probably just a decimal point error, I do that all of the time!

Now that I have Googled around to see if I could find a source for my bad/inflated info, I came across a post you made in 2016 that says the same thing about it being only 20mg/ml active ingredient. So at least you consistently give the same advice ;)

Looking like the powder IS much more cost effective if the plan is to make more than a tiny quantity of drinking water. The Gel makes sense for caged birds where their water dish is a couple fluid ounces, but doesn't make sense for larger birds.

Soooo, which one of these are better? The powder or the gel? I'm shopping for a water soluble wormer that knocks out all worms (just in case...like a preventative). I have too many crazy chickens to catch and orally inject. :wee Trying to figure out what wormer is best is so crazy, everyone has different views. :barnieHalp??

Soooo, which one of these are better? The powder or the gel? I'm shopping for a water soluble wormer that knocks out all worms (just in case...like a preventative). I have too many crazy chickens to catch and orally inject. :wee Trying to figure out what wormer is best is so crazy, everyone has different views. :barnieHalp??
Powder for sure. Way more cost effective. And way easier to mix in water. The gel is thick, orange colored, and I assume fruit flavored since it is marketed towards caged birds like parrots. The powder is marketed for pigeons. I would go with the power (and plan to buy some for my medical kit) in the next week or two.

I dont recall the dosing, but it is on the package. One package lasts a long time

Thank you for the reply! I wasn't sure if anyone would see my responses here so I made a new thread about it...:oops: I have actuallly been using the Wormout gel, and it's soooo expensive. And the mixing of it is a little bit of a hassle. When I saw that there was a powder with the same effect, and cheaper, it was relief! I have read in several pages of the powder 5grams per gallon. Does that hold true to chickens? Or would it be more.

The liquid is ~1000 mg of each drug per gallon, so if you want to use the powder the same way it is 10 grams per gallon. If you do get the powder, get a pocket scale too because most powders, one teaspoon weighs less than 5 grams.

Back
Top Bottom