1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worm overload! yecchhh! worming with garlic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by technodoll, Dec 13, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Well I now know why my little EE isn't gaining much weight or feathering out quickly...

He is riddled with worms!

He's in the house right now because he was weak and limping a few days ago, this morning I let him out of the little crate he's in and he did a liquid poop on the tiled floor. There were several long, thin, semi-transparent worms wiggling around in there [​IMG]

I can't get any worming meds as there is NO vet around that will dispense them, so the only other choice I have is to worm him naturally with garlic.

Does anyone else do this with success?

What is the dosage? He's about 7 weeks old.

Should I worm the entire flock?

If so, how?

Thank you.... Sigh [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    You can find wormers at the feed store or online such as wazine. Personally I use valbazen (broad spectrum wormer) altho it is expensive. Wazine is pretty cheap. I am not sure about the dosages on garlic but I have also heard pumpkin seeds ground up are a great natural wormer as well.

3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm in Canada and the meds (drugs) as well as ways to get them are different than in the US - more difficult here.

I want to worm naturally as to have no interruption in egg consumption, plus I prefer holistic remedies to drugs.

Can anyone confirm that this works?

To use garlic as an effective natural wormer for chickens, there are several methods.

You can infuse garlic into water and feed each chicken by eyedropper.

Add 5 to 6 crushed cloves of garlic to ½ cup of cool water. Cover and let stand for 8 hours or overnight. Shake and strain. Do not heat the water or it will erase some of the garlic's benefits.

You can also add some of this garlic concentrate to the chickens' water for one week at the rate of ½ cup of concentrate to 4 gallons of water.

Ensure that this is the chickens' only source of water during this time.

My flock will not eat raw crushed garlic mixed in their food, they hate it - so this is the only other alternative I see...

For the infested baby that's in the house, I can drop a piece of raw garlic down his throat once a day for 3 to 5 days, I have heard that this works wonderfully?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Can you take pics of the poop (w/worms). Many of us don't know what we're looking for... [​IMG]

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Pumpkin is a natural wormer for birds.And the best part is they worm thenselves and they love pumpkin.Do you have any left?Can you ship meds in from the U.S.?I use ivemectine,and yes your birds should be wormed at least 2 times a year.cutlerssupply.com,has everthing you need and more.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    OMG yeeccchhh, what I saw this morning has made me ill for the day!!

My good camera's in the shop for the next month so it would be hard as you need a good zoom...

However I googled for info and the worms looked like this, all wriggly and [​IMG]

I'm definitely dealing with a massive infection of roundworms here [​IMG]

(warning... graphic and gross)

http://www.farminguk.com/news/Worms---The-hidden-enemy_11645.html

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You need to get them wormed fast.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Am on the phone with the vet right now... they don't carry piperazine as they only treat cats and dogs, am trying to find an alternative.

OK they got back to me and they will NOT treat my birds nor prescribe any meds.

[​IMG]

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Pepperazine will work for round worms in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by