Worm Prevention in Ducks?

FrostyMilkshake

Chirping
Jun 20, 2022
USA
Hi!
I don't have any ducks currently but I plan to get some in the future. For the time being I am learning all I can in hopes to be a good duck owner. I have been reading about ducks getting worms, treating worms, about the dewormers. However I can't seem to find any tips on preventing worms in the first place? I have read deworming isn't recommended until the duck has worms. (I plan on eating the eggs of my ducks which is why I am looking into all of this.) So..

1. Is there anything I can do to help my ducks avoid getting worms to begin with, if I can't give them something to deter worms like you can a dog?
2. Or is there something I can give them to deter worms that I haven't found and doesn't interfere in human consumption of duck eggs?
3. And if I end up having to give my ducks something? is there any reference to find out how long the eggs aren't safe to eat?

Thanks!

As I recall some of the intermediate carriers of worms are earthworms, minnows, and slugs, so avoiding feeding those on purpose helps. Keeping them in movable pens during the day and moving them daily could also help keep worm loads down. We deworm ours twice a year because they are show ducks. You'll get advice about all sorts of holistic methods but the veterinary articles I've read all show they are useless. Some people are against deworming but your birds won't produce the same without regular deworming. Generally, Pour on Ivermectin is what we use. Again you'll get people saying things that range from "You can never eat the eggs again after dewoming" to "We eat them the next day". Since Ivermectin is totally safe for humans, and the amount on a bird for deworming is minuscule, we don't worry about eating the eggs at all.

What types are ducks are you thinking of getting? For eggs only or meat also?

As I recall some of the intermediate carriers of worms are earthworms, minnows, and slugs, so avoiding feeding those on purpose helps. Keeping them in movable pens during the day and moving them daily could also help keep worm loads down. We deworm ours twice a year because they are show ducks. You'll get advice about all sorts of holistic methods but the veterinary articles I've read all show they are useless. Some people are against deworming but your birds won't produce the same without regular deworming. Generally, Pour on Ivermectin is what we use. Again you'll get people saying things that range from "You can never eat the eggs again after dewoming" to "We eat them the next day". Since Ivermectin is totally safe for humans, and the amount on a bird for deworming is minuscule, we don't worry about eating the eggs at all.

What types are ducks are you thinking of getting? For eggs only or meat also?
We haven't decided on a type of duck just yet. We are planning on getting just a few females and eating the eggs since we are having to put a small pond in the yard due to a wet property. Might as well have fun with ducks :D We aren't going for meat or breeding.
I did know ivermectin is safe for humans. I should look into it more and see about using it as a possible preventive.
I just found that fenbendasole (safe-gaurd/panacur) can be used for treatment but you have to wait 17 days to eat eggs here. Not sure about using it as prevention though.
Preventives shouldn't need to be as strong as actual treatment.
--
On another note, I did find stuff like this that is used for preventing (not treatment) but I'm not sure how well red pepper flakes and the like prevent infestations.

Following this thread! I have a female and male Indian runners (5 months old) about to lay eggs. I’m using them as pets and eggs to eat so just wondering how to keep them from eggs! I’m not sure why I just now thought of us getting worms from the eggs but now I’m petrified to eat them!

I have had ducks since 2004 and have never seen a worm in any of my eggs. Chickens ducks or geese. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Enjoy those eggs.
Ducks don't usually get parasites unless they are kept in detestable conditions .
What would you consider detestable conditions? I’m a new duck mom and I only have two. I have them in a big dog kennel right now (it’s surrounded by the correct wiring). Big enough for a big shelter, a pool, water and food in a corner and room to move around) only thing is there is no grass that grows there. I let them out everyday to be in the grass. I have a pond and 5plus acres of land but I’m so scared to put them down there due to foxes we have. I’m eventually getting goats and fencing the back yard for them and some of the pond and thought about moving their shelter down there and releasing them into the pond but it really scares me because they are so safe right now

Back
Top Bottom