1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worm warnings & pale faced birds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VanZane, Sep 23, 2015.

1. VanZane

VanZane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Something I want to make sure people understand, worms are extremely easy for birds to catch as well as so many other things. You can do so many things right, and sometimes no matter your effort, a bird still comes down with something. So I'm the guy with a nice sized flock, but have a few roosters set aside from my flock that are more pets than anything... mid summer my rooster "Denden" took sick, anyone that knows me knew this bird was as close of a pet as any dog or cat, so I was fast to react and treat him with the standard meds. He showed no sign of improvement, Denden took "colds" durning wet weather fairly easy... his feathers were never water resistant like his brothers, so when he got wet... if i didnt go the extra mile and dry him... the following day he'd be croopy. Despite keeping a close eye on him, he took very ill, and as time went on his face became pale often and his feathers around his neck had been dug off in different places. He had no exterior mites because I kept him treated, his nutrition was great because he was free range. I had read on here that someone had a similar issue with their bird and despite all efforts their rooster died... it was said that the likely cause was worms. So the next day while I was outside, Denden was standing next to me and in his droppings were small worms. I began treatment with Wazine right away because this is what I was sold to fix the issue... Denden showed some improvement, but he started declining in health about 10 days later and passed away in my arms over a month later. So as horrible as this was, now his brother has the same symptoms... this made me sick. I called vets for live stock all over and no one looks at Chickens... the closest vet was over 2 hours away, so I grabbed up my rooster and took a road trip to this vet for some possible help. Turns out he has GAPE WORM... listen, wazine is not for gape, he said that it's very likely I could have saved Denden had I known this. So listen, there are multiple worm medicines out that do not fight gape worms, if your bird comes down with this MAKE SURE you know what types of worms the deworming medicine you have kills. I seriously hope this helps, because if one bird has it... chances are the others already have it to some degree as well. If you don't get it treated correctly fast, its all too easy for things to get out of control fast.

2 people like this.
  2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, thank you for taking your time to share your experience. I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

3. NatureChica

NatureChica Chillin' With My Peeps

What medicine did the vet suggest to be used for these type of worms?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Safeguard or Valbazen will kill gapeworms. There are several threads that have the dosages for both wormers.

7. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry you lost Denden. Thank you for taking the time to warn others about the gape worm and what medications are appropriate.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    How sad to lose a beloved pet. That's just something you never get used to. [​IMG]

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience and warn others.

Welcome to BYC (I wish it was under happier circumstances).

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry you lost your beloved Denden but thank you for warning others.

10. VanZane

VanZane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    My vet didn't know what to suggest as an exact name of a medicine because in the world of raising chickens, when one takes ill... most kill them, he suggested we search the web for medical treatment options for other animals. He said that they do make medicine for other animals that treat this... I'm planning to buy "Prohibit" at tractor supply, and of course adjust the dose. He told me that in 30 years of medicine he'd only treated 1000 chickens, he said that most people had parrots lol. He provided a ton of help, before going to him I wouldn't have known anything about Wazine not working for gape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by