Worm

Vicki B

Songster
7 Years
Jun 5, 2016
I have 3 hens about 14 weeks old. They are on medicated start and grow. One hen was sick a couple weeks ago. Not eating diarrhea drinking a lot. I gave them apple cider vinager and plain yogurt. She is back to herself but they still have some diarrhea. Yesterday I saw her grabbing a worm out of some poop. This is the only worm I have seen. They have not been out of coop at all or given anything else to eat. I am posting a pick of worm. What should I use?

Attachments

• 3DD1FDA2-0452-4B2C-8E6D-A14D80B51CA6.jpeg
    3DD1FDA2-0452-4B2C-8E6D-A14D80B51CA6.jpeg
    1,017 KB · Views: 29
That is probably a large roundworm. Most wormers that are effective are given to each chicken individually, and are wormers for cattle, sheep, and goats. SafeGuard is one you may find in feed stores and Valbazen, which is more expensive but goes much farther, may be in some stores or online. The good thing about Valbazen is that it gets most worms with a dose of 1/2 ml for an average size chicken (0.08 ml per pound) given by mouth once and repeat in 10 days. Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer is given once and repeated in 10 days for roundworms only. To get most possible chicken worms, it must be given for 5 straight days. These are very safe to use. Valbazen can be ordered here for $44 for 500 ml:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
SafeGuard is carried by TSC and most feed stores.

Thank you so much. The worm is actually only about 2 inches long and skinny. I thought I just saw a little piece of one in some other poop. I clean their coop every day they are in sand. I was Reading that diatomaceous earth works and I have that but wasn’t sure about it
No it will not rid roundworms.
Get Safe-Guard for either goats or horses.

I have to respectfully disagree about stopping the medicated feed. It would have nothing to do with preventing the body to deal with worms. Medicated feed doesn’t always help to prevent coccidiosis, but it won’t lead to worms. If you have something to read about this, I would like to read it, and learn something.

One thing that is important is to remove droppings and the intermediate hosts from the environment where chickens can get re-infested with worm larvae. Those hosts may be roundworms, snails and slugs, and some insects.

Back
Top Bottom