Wormed and still having problems...Repeat wormer? Use new one?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melslp13, Oct 25, 2014.

1. melslp13

melslp13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2014
    My little flock of 8 is having issues with cecal worms. I noticed them a week ago, and started Safeguard pellets (because the 2 feed stores near me didn't have the paste or liquid, which I would have greatly preferred). Yesterday my white leghorn was all fluffed up and acting lethargic and unhappy, and when I picked her up she felt simply emaciated. Today when scooping droppings my daughter said she found droppings still containing active worms (though I have no idea which chicken it came from obviously). Should I repeat the wormer, give them the paste (back in stock now at my TSC), give them a different type of wormer, or leave it alone and wait a while? I'm not sure what to do.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Are you sure it's cecal worms? What's the approximate length of the worms? Post a pic if you can please.

3. melslp13

Mar 16, 2014
    I have no pics unfortunately... it was my daughter who found them while she was doing her coop chores this morning... they're in the compost pile now. The ones I saw origionally were about a cm to half cm, very thin, white and quite wiggly and in the cecal poo .Almost perfectly matches up with this image http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee113/Pine_Grove/4_14.gif

4. melslp13

Mar 16, 2014
    bump... still need advice.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Valbazen 1/2 ml will take out any common worms, including cecal and capillaria worms, in chickens with one dose given orally, then repeated in 10 days. With SafeGuard, I think it takes a larger dose 3 days in a row for cecal worms, and 5 days for capillaria. Unless you are dealing with tapeworm, these are what I would use. Dawg53 may have better advice. Here's a link for Valbazen:
    http://www.kvsupply.com/valbazen-suspension-16-ounces?gclid=CJWuxI_iyMECFWqCMgodPG4AVA

6. melslp13

Mar 16, 2014
    But my question is, can I give another wormer after I've already just given one?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, give all your birds valbazen. Follow Eggcessive's dosing instructions above. Use a syringe without a needle to administer the valbazen orally.
    Since you have a small flock, here's a link where you can purchase a smaller dose of valbazen:
    http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&products_id=29

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  8. HoneyHushFarm

HoneyHushFarm Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2014
    Brandywine, Maryland
    Is that 1/2ml per bird? Once? What about a withdrawal time? I'm a new chicken mama & am feeling pretty lost. I'm almost positive my small flock has roundworms based on this.... (ew!)[​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

1 person likes this.
  10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yes, .5 ml each bird. Use 1 ml syringes. Do it again 10 days later. Wait 14 days after last dose to eat any eggs. The sooner this is done, the better. Use poultry vitamin & probiotic powder in waterers 2-3 days a week. The best time to deworm is in the morning while it is still dark and their crops are empty. I use a head lamp so both my hands are free.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by