wormed friday can i scramble the eggs and give back to chickens??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spitman, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I just wormed friday cant stand to throw away the eggs for 2 weeks darn i just started to get them LOL. can i feed them back to the chickens as treat , or will that just make the wait longer. I used Wheezel from farm and home the Cheep wormer , also do i need to treat again in 10 days that would make another 2 weeks no eggs right?

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I was wondering the same thing! I mean...I ivermectined them, it is on and in them... I know I can't eat the eggs but why can't they? They already have it everywhere.

Any body know?

3. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I was hoping to get some other input.... Please....

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I think I read some where on here that you can't re feed them the eggs as it is like worming them again and it will make the wait longer. I am sure someone with more experience on this will come along to offer you some more advice. i toss my eggs when I have wormed them. Mind you I wait to worm mine til they are not laying much at all and do it then.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You'll be extending the withdrawal time if you feed the eggs back to your chickens. Toss them in the garbage, 2 weeks is the norm. Next time use eprinex, there is no withdrawal time.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If its Ivomectin i dont seee why not... humans can take ivermectin. So... I dont think its a big deal.. It aint gonna kill ya or anything.
    I gave my hens ivermectin last week.. we;ve been scrambling up the eggs and freezing them/... so they'll have extra feed this winter.

7. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I did read that about eprinex. Can you tell me why is it different than ivermectin? Why doesn't it have a withdrawl time?

Thank you for the input everyone!

I do have to wonder about the withdrawl time. It would enter into the chickens eggs, but they also poop so at least 1/2 has to come out that way.

Redhen, I think especially if you feed it later on in the winter they would get another tiny dose of wormer to keep everything cleaned out!

After reading what you posted I had to check online to find out more. This is one that I found. I haven't looked anymore because I had better get back to work. Thought it was interesting though.

Can humans use Ivermectin 1.87%/praziquantel 14.03% by Equimax a horse dewormer for themselves for eliminating their parasites and is it safe?Yes, but be careful of dosage and side effects by la0508 65 days

and:

Ivermectin tablets

What are ivermectin tablets?

IVERMECTIN (Stromectol[​IMG]) treats parasite infections. This medicine treats worm infections like river blindness and a type of diarrhea called strongyloidiasis. It can also be used to treat other types of resistant parasitic infections, including scabies or head lice. Generic ivermectin tablets are not yet available.

What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?

They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
    • asthma
    • liver disease
    • an unusual reaction to Ivermectin, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
    • pregnant or trying to get pregnant
    • breast-feeding

How should this medicine be used?

Take ivermectin tablets by mouth with a full glass of water. Do not take ivermectin with food. Follow the directions on the prescription label. As a general rule take ivermectin tablets 1 hour before breakfast. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Finish the full course of medicine prescribed by your prescriber or health care professional even if you feel better.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose?

Since ivermectin is usually given as a one time dose, it is unlikely that you will miss a dose. However, you may need a return visit to your doctor to see if you need repeat doses to cure the infection.

What drug(s) may interact with Ivermectin?

Ivermectin is usually given as a one time dose and thus drug interactions are thought to be uncommon. Check with your prescriber or health care professional if you will be receiving multiple doses of ivermectin and if you are taking other medications.

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What should I watch for while taking Ivermectin?

Visit your prescriber or health care professional to check that your infection has gone. Your prescriber may request that you have stool samples or other tests checked for the infection. If you have a severe infection, you may need a repeat course of treatment.

You may get dizzy. Until you know how ivermectin affects you, do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness.

Practice good hygeine to prevent infection of others. Wash your hands, scrub your fingernails and shower often. Every day change and launder linens and undergarments. Scrub toilets often and keep floors clean.

Other people in your house may need treatment. Check with your prescriber or health care professional.

What side effects may I notice from receiving Ivermectin?

Ivermectin is usually well tolerated and serious side effects are rare.

Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
    • difficulty breathing
    • eye or eyelid pain, irritation, redness or swelling
    • loss or change of vision
    • redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
    • skin rash, hives or increased itching
    • yellowing of eyes or skin
    • unusual weakness or tiredness

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
    • dizziness or lightheadedness
    • joint or muscle pain
    • tender glands in the neck, armpits, or groin
    • headache
    • diarrhea
    • loss of appetite
    • nausea, vomiting
    • tremors
    • swelling of the face, hands, arms, feet, or legs

Yes, they can and are, but have central nervous system effects, can be somewhat toxic to your liver. Before you use these, best to verify that you truly have a parasitic infection, and that ivermectin and praziquantel will be effective for the kind you have. I wouldn't do this just on the general principle "everybody has parasites which are the cause of all disease and we must cleanse ourselves from them".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Be my guest redhen, they're your chickens, do as you wish. rustyswoman, I just switched over from the regular ivermectin pour on to the eprinex...I got tired of tossing eggs myself. The residue info on the bottle of eprinex states: Zero slaughter withdrawal/Zero milk discard.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Does Eprinex kill mites and lice too?
    Thats why i had to use the ivermectin.. i used the pour on... it worked VERY good!
    I'll have to check out the eprinex too!

10. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Oh, dawg53 I am glad for your info. I am going to switch to the eprinex also. I just don't get why one has a no withdrawl and one does. Enquiring minds.... and I found it very interesting that humans take the ivermectin too. I hadn't known that.

The eprinex only comes in the big bottle here and I need to find a smaller one. I hate to order online and have to pay the shipping charges if I can find smaller locally.

Yes redhen, it does kill mites and lice also.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by