1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wormed TWICE and they are back!! ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LIH3, Feb 20, 2013.

1. LIH3

LIH3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    I noticed one of my three chickens had worms about two months ago. I researched and am sure it was tapeworm and treated all three with albazene wormer which treats tapeworm. Two days after first treatment I saw a passed long skinny white worm, sorry gross. I treated again ten days later. It has been 4weeks since second treatment and have seen no signs of worms until today! The same tiny white rice like worm in one of their poops this morning! I'm so confused. They also have been sneezing a bit I don't know if this would have anything to do with it but show no other symptoms of being sick. They lay great eat great run around and seem to be happy chickens.

2. mjanderson437

mjanderson437 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    I have no experience with tapeworms in chickens, but know in dogs that they can be difficult to get rid of. Good luck...I'm sure someone on here will be more helpful.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I have been battling tape too! I had it totally under control and then today - saw a single poo pile with the segments. Major gross! I have to do a stake out to see who it is as I don't want to treat the whole flock if they don't need it (not to mention throwing away the beautiful eggs I am finally getting again!) I am suspicious it is my rooster as he was not treated (he just gives his medicated bread to everyone else.....[​IMG]) . Dawg is the best "worm information" guy on here, and I am sure he will chime in soon! It can take several rounds to get it handled! You can search on here too - you will see his advice and recommendations!

So, I feel your pain! [​IMG]

5. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
  6. LIH3

LIH3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Thank you so much for the responses. That was a very helpful and informative thread! I think I will attempt to see which one has worms first then treat with the Valbazen again and see if anything passes like the first time. I'm thinking the first time I wormed them really worked and one must have just been reinfected. It's also nice to know about the horse wormer for any future problems. Thanks!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.healthybirds.umd.edu/disease/deworming birds.pdf
    here is another link

Be aware that there are no approved wormers for egglayers, and so if you use any wormers at all in egg laying hens it is completely off label and most people toss eggs for quite awhile after it- mostly I have read two weeks on BYC...if you sell eggs or meat this may be an issue for you.

Wazine is the only approved wormer for chickens, and isn't approved for egglaying hens. Wazine only kills large roundworms.

The only recourse is to let your chickens die of worms if they are egglayers, unless you go off label. I have read that this is due to there not being a large enough market for the companies to test the wormers for egg residues at certain time periods, and those effects on people.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by