wormer advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sham30, May 6, 2011.

1. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    What does everyone use for a wormer - I'm looking for pros and cons on different types of products - Thank you in advance

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I am using a product called Pig Swig. You put 2 tablespoons in 1 1/4 gallons of water and they just drink it. Then you do it again in a month. It has the poultry directions on the container. I have only ised it with chicks, haven't had worm trouble with mine while they were adults, so I don't know about egg consumption while on wormer. I know there are a lot out there, this one seems to work well for us. Good luck!

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Eprinex - no withdrawal period for eggs

You only have to use a few drops for large fowl.

The biggest problem ? You have to handle each chicken to apply the wormer. So I worm only my laying hens with Eprinex. I use Wazine on everybody else.

Oh, yes, it is a little on the expensive side, but will last a LONG time unless you have a hundred hens....

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get. Safeguard is a good wormer.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Look up what humans are prescribed when they have worms. Frequently it's valbazen (albendazole) or a derivative of it.

7. sham30

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    Do I need to do anything about the eggs? All mine are laying hens and I have a lot of egg customers - thank you for all the tips!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:There is a 14 day egg withdrawal for most all wormers...the exception is eprinex. There is no egg withdrawal using eprinex. Eprinex will not kill tapeworms in chickens.

9. sham30

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I might wait for the vet to come and do spring shots on the horses and perhaps have him take a few poo samples to see if I even need to worm them. I keep my horses and goats wormed regularly so I may not have to bother. I give them the diatomaceous earth once a month in there feed. Thank you for all the advice!

Last edited: May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by