Wormer Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Plain Old Dee, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    DH is going to the feed store for our monthly feed stock up. I noticed some worms in one of the hen's poop this morning, and some bloody poo yesterday. I have a couple of the younger ones acting a bit lethargic - they are still eating and fighting - just slow to get off the roost in the morning and a little more fluffed up than I would expect.

Anyhoo - he refuses to ask questions at the feed store and make any decisions, so I need to tell him what to pick up. I'm pretty sure I need to do a round of Sulmet in case the bloody poo is cocci, but what wormer should I tell him to get? I don't think injectible is a viable option - he's not about to help me with anything like that and I'm a total noob when it comes to injecting chickens (unless you count a science project when I was in high school. [​IMG]) I thought about Ivermectin, since I've been reading about it on this website. I think there was a pour-on mentioned, that is good for lice/mites and internal worms?

Any help/advise you can give me would be helpful. We are on a limited budget and have 19 hens/pullets and 2 roos. All of different breeds - some BO's RIR's and a few strange looking sex-links and some OEGs.

Incidentally - what color eggs do OEG's lay? My other girls lay eggs of various shades of brown, but I found a little white one this morning.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

If your chooks have never been wormed then you need to start with a round of Wazine 17% first. Give this mixed in their water for 24 hours and then back to regular water. After two to three weeks you can follow up with Ivermectin 5% pour on which is actually for cattle. If you give Ivermectin only you risk killing your birds. The Wazine will kill the round worms and nodular worms. The Ivermectin will kill any other worms that they have. The Ivermectin is applied by drops on the skin at the back of the neck. A full size heavy hen would be six drops. A full size roo would be seven drops. A tiny bantam would take 1 to 2 drops. A medium bantam would be 2 to 3 drops. You want to get the Ivermectin directly on the skin. If it gets on the feather shaft it just absorbs and does no good.
    Hope that helps you.

3. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Thanks - I'll get the Wazine and the Ivermectin pour on. Do you think they will be expensive, and can I get them in a smaller container than one would need for a herd of cattle?

I'm just trying to work on a budget for the next month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by