Wormer question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bustermommy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I sent my husband to the feed store for Ivermectin and he came home with Permectin. I believe they told him at the feed store that this was essentially the same thing. The bottle gives no information without ripping off the label, which I don't really want to do in case I need to take it back.

Can I use this to worm (as a preventive, I hope) my chickens and, if so, would it be the same 5 drop on the back of the neck dosing?

Thanks for any help.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is it permethrin? That is a bug killer (NOT to be taken internally by the chickens)!!!! I know that you weren't going to use the ivermectin internally either, but I wanted to be clear about the permethrin if that is what you have.

You spray the coops with it. You can also dilute it and put it on the chickens to kill mites/lice but it doesn't kill worms. The dilution is on the label once you remove it, and it is sprayed on them. I don't recommend doing that in the fall and winter when it is chilly. I prefer dust. You can buy permethrin dust (poultry dust) at the feedstore too. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    The above link discusses sevin dust for mites and lice.

My Permethrin bottle also had a label that you had to rip off in order to read it.

Ivermectin should say "Ivomec Ivermectin" on it.
    There is an egg withdrawal period for ivermectin where you toss the eggs.
    This would be an off label use (research it carefully)- there have been many posts on it if you search BYC.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Arrrrrrgh. Thank you; that is exactly what I was afraid of. Yes, it is permethrin.

4. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    you want Valbazen ! that will take care of all the different kinds of worms . 1/2 cc for standered chickens and 1/4 for smaller breeds . good luck .

5. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Is the Valbazen internal or external admin?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It is given orally, use a syringe without a needle. Then redose again in 10 days.

7. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks.

8. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:It is given orally, use a syringe without a needle. Then redose again in 10 days.

How long do you have to not eat the eggs?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

How long do you have to not eat the eggs?

24 days start to finish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by