1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I have a variety of chickens in my 'Coop #1' (Seven hens, one roo). The youngest one is twenty-two wks old, the oldest one is 18 months old. I have noticed they have been getting rather thin lately especially the oldest one. Their poop is loose and disgusting. Now I'm going to describe the poop in great detail, if you would rather not read about descriptive droppings then you probably should stop here. :)
    My rooster for one thing has the MOST nastiest poop I've seen. It's like...mustard... Rarely does he poop something firm, and even when he does it's slightly green and soft - too soft in my opinion. Why is he pooping out mustard-like substances? Sometimes it's slightly clear and piecey green. I can feel his keel bone sharply and it concerns me.

June, the eldest of all my chickens in 'Coop #1' is extremely thin. I'm wondering if she's malnourished (which is the case with worms) because her new feathers are light and not at all like the dark mahogany a Buckeye should have. She is slow, very, very slow. The last one to jump out in mornings, she's always a few steps behind everyone and often get's left behind in the mad dashes my chickens make for food. xD Her poop is so small and tar-like. It smells repulsive and has some white. If her poop isn't small it's slightly green and loose. Oh and she pooped one FIRM poop a couple days ago! I was so excited! It was a musky green with white and medium size, it looked b-e-a-u-tiful.
    The rest of my chickens have similar poop and all seem on the thin side.
    To be absolutely honest with you all; I don't want to poison my chickens. I know DE doesn't get rid of the evil ones like tapeworms and roundworms so I was hoping for something that would work and still be something our chickens would eat normally. I read somewhere on BYC that a lady used pumpkin guts and garlic to deworm her flock!? She said it worked well. If that's the truth then I certainly would like to try it! Wormwood works on humans, would it not work on chickens also? I know that humans are mammals and birds are...well birds, so the worms may differ slightly. But still perhaps wormwood would work. Does anyone have experience in this?
    But then again, a natural wormer may not get all of the worms. I am well aware that my chickens are wonderful hosts for other types of worms as well. I need help on deciding before I loose a bird or open an egg and a worm pops out! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In my mind, nothing beats Valbazen -- safe, effective and kills all types of worms.

I have never seen any scientific proof that any "natural" wormers actually work. I've never seen a worm in poop or had a chicken look sick as if loaded with worms, but I worm regularly because I know there are worms in this area, from other animals and even humans. But it is an individual choice. I'll give you some links.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576036&p=1

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5770173#p5770173

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

I did notice the last time I wormed that feed consumption dropped considerably. I'm assuming the worms were eating a lot of the feed.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto on the Valbazen, it's fantastic.

Before I started worming my flock, I tried all the natural remedies: pumpkins, garlic, etc. and my birds still got worms. When I started noticing weight loss, that's when I wormed them for the first time. I unknowingly started with Wazine. A month after worming with the wazine, I noticed a worm in one of my chickens droppings. So I researched and found out about Valbazen. I used it and haven't had any issues with worms since and my flock went back to a normal weight. I just wormed my flock this year and followed up with buttermilk (Dawg53 recommends this) for the chickens since they are in molt. We're not in a high worm area, so once a year works great for us - depending on where you are, you may need to worm them more often.

4. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    2 tbs cider vingar in 2 gal water is what the old farmers use every 21days for wormer

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Thank you! That is very helpful. I will worm with Valbazen as suggested, now will regular feed stores have this? And how do I know if I'm in a 'high worm' area? All of my chickens coops are moveable and we move them around once or twice a month. Worms are more rampant when your birds are in one place for a long time, right?

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    i would worm with valbazen, and move your coop. How wonderful that you can move your coop. I try to let my hens free range a few hours every day for their health and happiness. I understand that they are more at risk for predators, but I know they will be inheriently healthier.
    After I wormed my flock, they gained weight and looked so much more robust, feathers were shinier, etc.

7. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:How do you know if you are in a "High Worm Area"? What, besides your chickens getting worms, are the signs and how does one keep them away? I now know that the chickens need to be wormed at least once a year, but are there any signs to look for to know if one is in a "worm area"? Also, today I am going to give my chickens pumpkin and buttermilk until I can get to the store to buy "Valbazen", would you recommend this?
    Thank you for your help.

8. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Valbazen is a cattle etc. wormer used off label for chickens, like almost all chicken wormers. I found a 500 ml bottle for about $40 at Amazon and at Jefferslivestock.com; there may well be other sources. That's about 1000 large fowl doses, and it expires in a couple of years. If you find it locally it's likely to be a much larger bottle. Maybe some vets sell small bottles; I've never asked. I ordered online and it was here in 3 or 4 days.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh, on the high worm area, I know I am because of the treatment both animals and people have required. It's humid, low and wet here. I think most people assume that dry desert type areas are not. But I don't know if this is true. You might talk to your vet or county extension agent (if you are in the US.)

Feed consumption went down at least 1/3 right after I last wormed with Valbazen. I feel pretty comfortable in assuming this is because the worms were eating a lot of the feed.

10. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I found Valbazen at Wammock Farm Service for $36.98. That seems to be the average price range. Anyway, Could you please advise me how to administer using bread? I don't want to put in water because I want to be sure they all get their share. With a piece of bread I know how much each one is getting and hopefully it will work for my poor babies. I am still going to use the pumpkin/buttermilk before the Valbazen arrives.

Also, I live in AZ., and it is not real wet as everyone knows, but we do get our share of rain and snow in my area. ( 35 miles South of Payson) I try to keep the pen as dry as possible but I can't keep it completely dry when it rains or when some of my girls decide to play in the water. I will however get a hold of the county extension agent to find out if there is a high worm problem (or not).
    Thank you for the information and have a great day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by