1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wormer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leo1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    I have 3 new birds in Quarantine that I think need to be wormed. I can't find any wormer locally, so I"m going to need to get it online. All I seem to be able to find is for goats, cattle and sheep. Where do you guys get yours?

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    You can order Valbazen from Jefferslivestock.com -- it kills all types of worms.. not mites... must be given orally, one chicken at a time.

Search here... for "worming with Valbazen".. "giving oral medications".. "how much Valbazen".. few wormers for chickens, we use it off label for chickens and just dose accordingly... few wormers kill all types of worms as well.

Look for posts by dawg53 on "worming"... I know there are other places to purchase Valbazen and other wormers.. You will also need a syringe (no needle) with CC /ML measurments.. or a child's medicine dropper (Walmart, etc.)...

Have you checked for mites as well? You might want to dust them with Sevin Dust for mites, just in case or as a preventative.

Worming will have to be repeated in ten days... withholding eggs the whole time -- for two weeks, until the 15th day after the second worming.

Good luck..... How old are the new birds? Size matters for dosage of wormer.. again, see posts by dawg53. You can also search: "where to buy Valbazen on line".

3. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Oh, so I can use the stuff that I have seen for goats, good to know! They are a little over four months. They don't seem to have much muscle mass and there's something in their poo that looks like ground corn. I've had them for 2 weeks and haven't seen any evidence of mites, but I'm pretty new to chickens so I'm not sure if I could tell or not. I think they had cocci when I got them, although I thought they usually got that a bit younger than this or when moving to a new space and I noticed symptoms the next morning after I got them here.
    Thanks for the info!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by