Wormers...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lickskillet, Apr 18, 2009.

1. lickskillet

lickskillet *Home of the Shoveler*

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    I know for piperazine there is a 2 week period of not eating the eggs, then to do the same routine again in 14 days. My question is, can I feed the eggs not able to be eaten by us back to the chickens? Probably not, but just curious.... thanks.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I would feed them back to the chickens. No use wasting them..... How much wormer can be in an egg? not much!
    The wormer is safe on livestock and not tested on humans..but I bet it wouldn't hurt us either!

3. lickskillet

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    I'm still undecided either way chickens/us to eat or not to eat. I've been to too many websites to count trying to get some definate answers, and they all say something different! I'm actually debating on whether or not to de-worm with a more broad spectrum wormer the next time??? It's pretty confusing.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't feed the eggs back to the chickens or to other pets. Since some traces of the wormer could conceivably be in the eggs, you would be exposing them to the wormer all over again.
    I used a broad spectrum wormer and discarded the eggs for two weeks.

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Same here. I used fenbandazole (broad spectrum) and discarded the eggs for two weeks. If you are olnly worried about roundworms, then piperazine is fine.

6. lickskillet

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    gritsar wrote:
    I used a broad spectrum wormer and discarded the eggs for two weeks.

What dewormer did you use? (TIA)[​IMG]

briteday wrote:
    I used fenbandazole (broad spectrum) and discarded the eggs for two weeks.

Thanks briteday, I'll be on the look out for fenbandazole![​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What dewormer did you use? (TIA)[​IMG]

briteday wrote:
    I used fenbandazole (broad spectrum) and discarded the eggs for two weeks.

Thanks briteday, I'll be on the look out for fenbandazole![​IMG]

I used valbazen (albendazole). It's a cattle/sheep wormer. Treats liver flukes, tapeworms, stomach worms, intestinal worms and lungworms.
    For standard chickens you give 1/2 cc orally, undiluted. 1/4 cc for bantams.
    The best way I find to dose the chickens is to use a needle-less syringe.

8. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    how often do you worm and when do you start worming when u start out with chicks?

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:There are some really varied opinions on the forum about this. Some folks never worm, others worm only after a positive fecal float. I did my reseach and decided to worm once a year as part of my poultry management. If I actually saw worms in between the yearly worming, I would worm again.
    It might just be me, but I waited until my chickens were over 6 months old to worm. It's said to be hard on their systems though I saw absolutely no sign that it bothered my girls.

10. lickskillet

Jan 16, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks gritsar for all of you time and answers!!

Here is some history of WHY I thought maybe I should deworm...BTW: (I haven't seen any worms in their feces since I wormed them.)

Last weekend had one of my FAVORITE chickens, a modern, die from the only symptoms I could tell were:

Ruffled up feathers
    Skinny
    She had no drainage of any kind anywhere
    No signs of diarrhea

She had been eggbound in the past twice, in which I was able to get the eggs out. She was never a great layer. I immediately checked for eggbound this last time, but felt nothing. When she passed, she had these VERY small white I would guess lice around her face. So treated all of the chickens with a good dunk in INSECTRIN X and gave some PIPERAZINE-17(before I knew it was just for roundworms) a few days apart.
    Here's my problem though. Since then, probably a week, I now have an EE hen with same lethargic stance BUT, she is having a clear liquid coming out of her mouth and occasional cough. She won't eat, but does drink some. I've looked up everything I can, but have no idea what I'm dealing with! No sneezing or head shaking or gaping or such.... TIA on any info as to where to start looking for answers! BTW these hens are/were about 3 yrs old this summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by