Worming a mixed flock? Need some input...

blondie34

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Grand Rapids, OH
Hi there! I've only been raising peafowl for two years now and I've never wormed them but I see a lot of people posting about worming and such..

Is worming absolutely necessary? I'm thinking about doing it but I have a mixed flock.. 6 peafowl, two ducks, and ~20 chickens in a barn with an attached 40'x50' covered run and flight pen. I also have a large waterer in the run, a nipple watering system in the barn, and then a few kiddie pools for the ducks that I catch the birds randomly drinking out of from time to time.
hu.gif
Would I want to put Safeguard in only one of the waterers or would I have to put it in the nipple watering system too?

If its possible, I'd suggest selecting the most commonly used source and water and prevent access to all other sources -that way hopefully all your birds should drink the medicated water.

All the best
CT

Hi there! I've only been raising peafowl for two years now and I've never wormed them but I see a lot of people posting about worming and such.. 

Is worming absolutely necessary? I'm thinking about doing it but I have a mixed flock.. 6 peafowl, two ducks, and ~20 chickens in a barn with an attached 40'x50' covered run and flight pen. I also have a large waterer in the run, a nipple watering system in the barn, and then a few kiddie pools for the ducks that I catch the birds randomly drinking out of from time to time. :confused: Would I want to put Safeguard in only one of the waterers or would I have to put it in the nipple watering system too? 

Safeguard is not water soluble, it settles very quickly. Better to deworm orally.

-Kathy

Safeguard is not water soluble, it settles very quickly. Better to deworm orally.

-Kathy
Orally!? Oh gosh.. I can't imagine that'd be easy.. my peafowl don't particularly enjoy being handled .. how do you keep track of who has already gotten the wormer when you have a lot that look alike?

Hey, now we just have to figure out where to get this
wee.gif

14 January 2016

Merck Animal Health Launches Safe-Guard
00ae.png
AquaSol

Highly Effective Dewormer Approved by FDA for use in Poultry

MADISON, N.J., January 14, 2016 – Merck Animal Health (known as MSD Animal Health outside of the United States and Canada) today announced the introduction of Safe-Guard
00ae.png
AquaSol (fenbendazole oral suspension) for use in U.S. poultry operations. Safe-Guard AquaSol is indicated for the treatment and control of adult Ascaridia galli in broiler chickens and replacement chickens intended to become breeding chickens, as well as for the treatment and control of adult A.galli and Heterakis gallinarum in breeding chickens.
“Managing gastrointestinal health properly results in better overall performance – uniformity, productivity and profitability,” said Ivan Alvarado, D.V.M., Director, Poultry Technical Services, Merck Animal Health. “Effective management also helps to minimize the economic impact that comes as a result of production losses, which is a priority for all of our customers.
“Safe-Guard products have a long history of proven results and we are excited to bring a new poultry formulation to the industry – one that provides a unique uniform treatment for the entire flock and has been approved by the FDA for use in chickens.”
Safe-Guard AquaSol is produced with an innovative wet-milling technology, which produces a highly stable suspension that can be conveniently administered through drinking water for a short, five consecutive-day treatment period.1 The product’s smaller particle sizes help to prevent sedimentation and clogged pipes, filters or nipple drinkers.1 There is no pre-slaughter withdrawal period when used according to the product label.
Safe-Guard AquaSol is available in 1 liter and 1 gallon presentations. For more information about this product, contact your Merck Animal Health sales representative.

http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/news/2016-1-14.aspx

@casportpony , soooo glad you posted the photos a few days ago. Apparently it's been approved for sale here in US, and is already available in UK and Europe. Anybody know about Canada?

Hey, now we just have to figure out where to get this
wee.gif

14 January 2016

Merck Animal Health Launches Safe-Guard
00ae.png
AquaSol

Highly Effective Dewormer Approved by FDA for use in Poultry

MADISON, N.J., January 14, 2016 – Merck Animal Health (known as MSD Animal Health outside of the United States and Canada) today announced the introduction of Safe-Guard
00ae.png
AquaSol (fenbendazole oral suspension) for use in U.S. poultry operations. Safe-Guard AquaSol is indicated for the treatment and control of adult Ascaridia galli in broiler chickens and replacement chickens intended to become breeding chickens, as well as for the treatment and control of adult A.galli and Heterakis gallinarum in breeding chickens.
“Managing gastrointestinal health properly results in better overall performance – uniformity, productivity and profitability,” said Ivan Alvarado, D.V.M., Director, Poultry Technical Services, Merck Animal Health. “Effective management also helps to minimize the economic impact that comes as a result of production losses, which is a priority for all of our customers.
“Safe-Guard products have a long history of proven results and we are excited to bring a new poultry formulation to the industry – one that provides a unique uniform treatment for the entire flock and has been approved by the FDA for use in chickens.”
Safe-Guard AquaSol is produced with an innovative wet-milling technology, which produces a highly stable suspension that can be conveniently administered through drinking water for a short, five consecutive-day treatment period.1 The product’s smaller particle sizes help to prevent sedimentation and clogged pipes, filters or nipple drinkers.1 There is no pre-slaughter withdrawal period when used according to the product label.
Safe-Guard AquaSol is available in 1 liter and 1 gallon presentations. For more information about this product, contact your Merck Animal Health sales representative.

http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/news/2016-1-14.aspx

@casportpony , soooo glad you posted the photos a few days ago. Apparently it's been approved for sale here in US, and is already available in UK and Europe. Anybody know about Canada?
Right?! I saw that in Kathy's post from the other day and I've been feverously googling where to buy it!

Back
Top Bottom