Worming and Fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 22, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I want to worm my birds because their weight is starting to drop but they're still eating well. So I think I have a worm problem. Last year I used Wazine, so I'll be switching to Ivermectrin this year so I can give those blasted pests a run for their money. If I worm now, will I be able to incubate the eggs laid by the wormed hens? I know I can't eat their eggs, but are they still good to hatch? Also, how many doses of Ivermectrin does a bird (both LF and small bantam) need? A single dose, or one dose a week for two weeks, or something else?

2. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    HI there
    Funny I just posted that same questions, 10 minutes ago! [​IMG]
    So you never eat your eggs? What do you do with your eggs then?
    I was wondering that if you do eat, after awhile what affects it has on me and my family if I will start eating again. Any idea?

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have recently wormed my chickens and used Ivomec Eprinex pour on cattle wormer. There is no withdrawal time, as it is used for meat and dairy cattle without a withdrawal. I have also successfully hatched eggs from my wormed chickens. You would use .5 cc for each chicken.

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Great! I'll go buy some of that. .5 for bantams... for bantams that way under 22 ounces?

DutchChicky... I just throw the eggs away. Nothing should eat them. Most pesticides leave residue in the eggs. I wait for 2 weeks before I deem the eggs safe for animal and human consumption, longer if stated on the bottle. At low levels, parasites can grow resistant to pesticides. So if you have some kind of worm, and you are eating low levels of pesticide in the egg, when you need to treat yourself the meds won't work.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You'll do 1/2 (.5) cc for standard sized chickens and 1/4 (2.5) cc for bantams.

I forgot to add that all you have to do is add it to the skin on the back of their necks, then do it again 10 days later to get any of worms that have hatched in between times.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Really? That will take care of internal parasites? Wow, that stuff sounds great.

7. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    very good advice , thanks!!
    Have to see if my TSC store has some of that Ivomec Eprinex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by