worming cattle

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OPIE, Feb 16, 2009.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Well a long story short a 1 1/2 years ago my wife and I decided to get a couple cows, one to butcher and one to raise up and butcher out. Well we bought a 1200 lb steer that went straight to the locker. Great beef. The second was year old heffer. Well shortly after we got her she got through our fence and got in with the neighbors heard. She was over there for about 3 weeks, (we mended all the holes in our fence before we moved her back over) all was well, until in April of last year we had our first calf!! Yup he had a bull in there. Well anyway, I am new to cows, I have horses, but a first with cows. Anyway. How is the best way to worm them? I have used the pour on stuff, but dont you also have to worm them for other types(like horses?) We have a round bale in front of them always and they get 4lbs of feed a day, but they arent gaining much weight. And also dont they get shots in the spring? Please tell me what im doin wrong. [​IMG] And help me figure out just what the heck im doing.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    That pour on wormer will do just fine, cattle wont get fat on hay,but when the spring grass comes they will fatten up . also you can give them some sweet feed that will help them out.

3. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Sweet feed, Ok, I was trying to keep them on a 50/50 mix. Corn and sweet feed. Am I feeding the right amount of feed per day do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by