worming chickens confused

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheila3935, Sep 13, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I am worming my chickens with Wazine today. Which is the best wormer to use after. I have read so much on this that I am confused. Should I use Ivomec,vallbazen or fendendzole? I just want to make sure I am covered. Also I have a broody that has just hatched chicks? What do I do with her? I am afraid to put the wazine in her water as the chicks drink that water too. Should I wait to treat her til the chicks are older as in about 4 weeks? Please help me figure out which is best. Also I have read to give them probotics. Do I do that after the worming or put it in their food during the worming?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I would not give Wazine to the new chicks either!!! I agree with your choice to use Wazine. It hits the main parasites and my chickens have never seem to be adversely effected......Throw out your eggs for the duration and then I continued to throw out eggs for two weeks after treatment. Good Luck with your new little peeps!

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Thank you for the feedback. I can get valbazen, ivomec and safeguard where I work, just wasnt sure which to get. So After reading the links guess I will go with the valbazen. They were wormed with the wazine yesterday with the exception of broody momma with chicks. I will worm her in about 4 weeks. I'll keep her seperate so I can toss her eggs if she is laying again by then. Is there anyway to dose her with the wazine without the babies getting the water? Otherwise I would dose her sooner. Just wish I had realized about the worms before her eggs hatched. Then does everyone worm on a 6 month schedule and then if I do, do I just use the valbazen or should I change wormers so they dont get immuned to it?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Ditch the wazine and just use valbazen for all your birds except the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by