Worming Chickens..Do any of You

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Swbuda, May 3, 2009.

1. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Add worming medicine to your chickens drinking water ? [​IMG] Do chickens need to be wormed? [​IMG]

2. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I was worried about not being able to collect eggs when worming with chemicals, so I just feed flax seed in with oatmeal once a month.

I have never seen worms with my chooks, but I give them the flax anyway. I don't like the chemicals so I look for more organic ways to worm them.

Even if they do not have worms, they love oatmeal... [​IMG]

Cheri

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    herbal wormer is UK product

500ml Verm-x Liquid Herbal Chicken & Poultry Wormer Featured Item ... 750g Verm-x Pellet Herbal Chicken Duck Poultry Wormer Featured Item ...

4. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    my chickens Had worms on time i had no choice but to use medicine i got it from tsc waited to weeks have seen any ever since it has been about 1 year since i did it.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Cayenne Pepper;

It`s a natural wormer. Mix it heavily with your feed to turn it red. Pepper in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have the heat resceptors like most critters, so they eat it up. Worms, on the other hand, heh, heh. You can still eat the eggs. Repeat in 10 days to get the new worms, then about every six months for mainainance. And don`t forget the second dose........Pop

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A lot of people use DE in feed to control worms. Some also use pumpkin seed mixed with buttermilk, I think. I have no idea whether they actually work. And yes, some use a commercial wormer on a routine, like once or twice a year. Personal choice.

Chickens do not necessarily need to be wormed on a regular basis, like dogs etc. do. Would be interesting to know whether a good avian vet would recommend regular worming, or only after a fecal float to determine type.

7. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    You can also mix a apple cider vinegar into their water. You want to use enough to make it slightly acidic, but not enough to keep the chickens from drinking it. It changes the Ph level in their digestive tract and makes it inhospitable to the worms.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that pumpkins seeds work well too.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

8. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Thanks for all the GREAT suggestions.. I've started with DE..but will certainly keep the organic ideas written down.. [​IMG] You All are the Best![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by