1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worming chickens need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman101, Feb 18, 2009.

1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    hello all. i have a couple of ?s i picked up some wazine today because im gonna worm my chickens. on the bottle it says for each 100 birds give 2 fluid oz in 2 gallons. i only have 5 im worming how much should i mix to a gallon of their water and how long should i let them drink from it. also is this a one time worming for so many days? and last of all is diarrhia a sigh of worms???

2. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    ??

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Ignore the "For each 100 birds part" and mix 1 oz to 1 gallon. Treat with Wazine for 1 week, don't eat the eggs for at least 2 weeks afterwards, preferably 3 because Wazine isn't labeled for egg-producing poultry. Diarrhea is for sure a symptom of worm infestation, so is lethargy, paleness, depression, and emaciation.

4. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    does anyone know how many teaspoons of wazine is an ounce?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Take in a fecal sample and just have a fecal float done. That will tell you IF they even have worms, and the type of worms they do have if they have them. Then you can treat them for the type of worms they have. Not all wormers work on the same worms, and not all poos will be the same over the day.

6. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    when u say treat them for a week does that mean change their water everyday and add more medicine for a week?

7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Quote:Try a shot glass

8. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:6 teaspoons = one oz..Also Wazine is to be given for one day only then repeated in 10 days

9. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks for the help!![​IMG]

10. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    i wormed the chickens today with wazine in their water im not sure if they all drank it, but it ook it out his evening. one of my hens still acts funny. ( lethargic) i know the wormer wont help her within a day. but if she has worms how lon will it take for her to feel better and start acting normal.? im just worried about her!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by