Worming Chickens

CassieStill

Hatching
Apr 12, 2016
What's a good wormer to use that will get rid of as many types of worms as possible with the least amount of egg withdraw time? I have 38 chickens, so one at a time may be difficult.

Greetings from Kansas, CassieStill, and :welcome. Great to have you here! I know Wazine is a common wormer. You might type in chicken wormer or chicken worming into the BYC search box and other threads will appear where it is discussed. Good luck to you.

I used wazine 17 just 2 days ago but not sure if all of them got a good drink of the water. I'm new to owning chickens these are my first ones.... I have run off water from my a/c unit that they drink from also trying to keep them from drinking out of the dog's water bucket isn't easy... How do I make sure they are all getting wormer? Is it okay to try and give them another dose of Wazine 17? This is the first time for them to be wormed also? Please help
thank you

The only way you can be sure they got the wormer is to treat them one at a time. If you could get someone to assist you, it can go faster than you think. Just , pen the birds you have treated so you know which ones have been done. If you don't know what type of worms they have, the wormer may not produce any results.

welcome-byc.gif

I've only wormed once, and that was because I saw worms in a dropping. Wormed the whole flock. Not sure it's necessary if you haven't seen anything.
I use Valbazen, just read that using Wazine could be the wrong way to go. Go to this thread..read post 62. Dawg knows his stuff!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401475/worming-with-valbazen/60

Last edited:
Does any one have any good pics of what the different worms look like can't seem to find any in the BC search engine. I have looked at poop but I don't know what I am looking for of even if they are visible to the naked eye. What are some of the symptoms I heard that dirty eggs are a sign but I have never had a fresh laid dirty egg ???
Thanks Harry

​Does any one have any good pics of what the different worms look like can't seem to find any in the BC  search engine. I have looked at poop but I don't know what I am looking for of even if they are visible to the naked eye. What are some of the symptoms I heard that dirty eggs are a sign but I have never had a fresh laid dirty egg ???
Thanks  Harry 

Large roundworms are easy to see *if* they pass them. Would be best to have poop checked by a vet or lab to check for worm eggs.

@HARRY47264 , here is a picture for you:

And these are the types of worms poultry can get:
(nematodes)
  • Acuaria spp ~ Dispharynx ~ Synhimanthus spp. $. Gizzard worms. Gizzard, esophagus and proventriculus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in birds kept outdoors.
  • Ascaridia spp. $$$. Chicken roundworms. Small intestine. A serious problem worldwide, also in confined operations.
  • Capillaria spp. $$. Hairworms. Crop, esophagus, small intestine, large intestine.
  • Heterakis spp. $$$$. Cecal worms. Cecum. Probably the most threatening worms in all kind of poultry operations worldwide.
  • Oxyspirura spp. $. Fowl eyeworms. Eyes. Usually a secondary problem in individual birds kept outdoors.
  • Strongyloides spp. $$. Threadworms, pinworms. Small intestine. Can be a serious problem worldwide.
  • Subulura spp. $. Cecum and small intestine. A secondary problem in birds kept outdoors worldwide.
  • Syngamus trachea. $$. Gapeworms. Trachea, bronchi. A serious problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Tetrameres spp. $. Proventriculus and esophagus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in outdoor opertaions.
Tapeworms (cestodes)

• Amoebotaenia cuneata = sphenoides. $. Small intestine. Usually a secondary issue in most poultry operations
  • Choanotaenia infundibulum. $. Small intestine. Usually not a major issue in modern poultry operations.
  • Davainea proglottina. $. Minute tapeworms. Small intestine. Can be a problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Raillietina spp. $$. Small intestine. The most frequent tapeworm in poultry, however normally not a major problem.
Flukes (trematodes, flatworms)

• Prosthogonimus spp. $. Oviduct flukes. Oviduct, bursa of Fabricius. Can be a serious threat for birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
Above from http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933

fecal tests can be done here:
Poop Tests - Veterinary Parasitology Laboratory

Back
Top Bottom