Worming Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CassieStill, Sep 7, 2016.

1. CassieStill

CassieStill New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    What's a good wormer to use that will get rid of as many types of worms as possible with the least amount of egg withdraw time? I have 38 chickens, so one at a time may be difficult.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, CassieStill, and :welcome. Great to have you here! I know Wazine is a common wormer. You might type in chicken wormer or chicken worming into the BYC search box and other threads will appear where it is discussed. Good luck to you.

3. CassieStill

CassieStill New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    I used wazine 17 just 2 days ago but not sure if all of them got a good drink of the water. I'm new to owning chickens these are my first ones.... I have run off water from my a/c unit that they drink from also trying to keep them from drinking out of the dog's water bucket isn't easy... How do I make sure they are all getting wormer? Is it okay to try and give them another dose of Wazine 17? This is the first time for them to be wormed also? Please help
    thank you

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The only way you can be sure they got the wormer is to treat them one at a time. If you could get someone to assist you, it can go faster than you think. Just , pen the birds you have treated so you know which ones have been done. If you don't know what type of worms they have, the wormer may not produce any results.

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I've only wormed once, and that was because I saw worms in a dropping. Wormed the whole flock. Not sure it's necessary if you haven't seen anything.
    I use Valbazen, just read that using Wazine could be the wrong way to go. Go to this thread..read post 62. Dawg knows his stuff!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401475/worming-with-valbazen/60

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Welcome to BYC good luck with the worms think Glenda has covered it all[​IMG]

8. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    Does any one have any good pics of what the different worms look like can't seem to find any in the BC search engine. I have looked at poop but I don't know what I am looking for of even if they are visible to the naked eye. What are some of the symptoms I heard that dirty eggs are a sign but I have never had a fresh laid dirty egg ???
    Thanks Harry

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Large roundworms are easy to see *if* they pass them. Would be best to have poop checked by a vet or lab to check for worm eggs.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @HARRY47264 , here is a picture for you:
    [​IMG]
    And these are the types of worms poultry can get:
    Above from http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933

fecal tests can be done here:
    Poop Tests - Veterinary Parasitology Laboratory

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by