worming chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hatchcrazzzy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    when old do you worm your chickens.and why and with what thakns

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My chickens have never had worms to my knowledge. I do more of a preventative/natural approach for keeping them worm-free. I regularly feed them chopped unsalted pumpkin seeds and buttermilk. They always have food grade DE in their feed as well. A substance in the pumpkin seeds paralyzes the worm so it can be pooped out. Someone else may have to tell you what to use if you worm. I do know that Wazine, a popular wormer, is only for roundworms and doesn't affect the many other types they can get.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    did you know back in the old days ppl used to worm chickens with chewing tobacco, crushed glass, kerosene and red devil lye..I have multi species and have for years so worms here are a constant threat even after all the spading, sand and new litter. I worm 4 times a yr every bird that is on the dirt. I personaly use valbazen,safeguard and levamisole in rotation as not to build immunity.
    As with any wormer it's a good idea after the first worming to worm again in 10 days to kill the ones that have hatched,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  4. Pine Grove

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    SpeckledHen, Do you notice that your chickens have a brighter sheen to their feathers after a couple of days of giving them buttermilk?

5. speckledhen

Hmm, I never really noticed that. Usually, my chickens seem to shine anyway, unless they're molting or covered in red dirt from a dustbath, LOL. I'll have to check next time I do that.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    How would a person know if their chickens had worms besides taking a stool sample to the vet? I have to admit we have never wormed our chickens either. It makes sense though, we worm our lambs twice a season,

7. Pine Grove

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    if chickens have been on the same dirt year after year or is free ranging eating earth worms and insects. it is safe to say they have, or will sooner or later have worms. it's natural for healthy chickens to have a few worms, it's when their immune system becomes weak that the worms take over.

8. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    speckledhen- how often do you give them pumpkin seeds and buttermilk?

9. speckledhen

Well, I usually add pumpkin seeds to their scratch mixture, but they only get that when I call them back from ranging or first thing in the morning. So, they get those all the time. I buy buttermilk about every three weeks or so and when it's here, I use it for baking and they get the treatment at that time. Right now, it's a cool thing to give them in the heat as well as yogurt so it serves two purposes.

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Cyn,

Do you bake the pumpkin seeds or let them dry naturally. I'm about to cut one up so I figured I'd better get that question answered first.

Thanks!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by