worming chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rebel yell, Jul 2, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i used to use wormall pills to worm my chickens, but like everything elese thats any good they took it off of the market, whats the best thang to use to worm them with?

2. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Songster

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    I had the same question a few months ago. Everything I found said you couldn't eat eggs. I found a wormer on VetShoponline site. You might try. Most wormers that doesn't have a waiting period is sold by our Canadian friends. I thought I'd wait until winter when production is usually down. But my hens lay just as much in the winter as summer and my eggs sells is higher in the winter than summer.

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Songster

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I use Ivermectin Injectable for my goats and dogs. So being on hand I also use it on my chickens.
    6CC in a gallon of water. being the only water they get untill gone. repeat in 10 -12 days. I do this twice a year.
    Ivermectin is a wormer they use in third world countries to worm people.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Songster

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:Valbazen..I'ts the best thing since the old green wormall tablets

5. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Songster

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:I found the oral Ivermectin at TSC really cheap. It has a creamy texture, so stirred into some yogurt, it goes away quickly and is easy to get into the chickens. It is in a cute little "injector" type tube too!!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Pine Grove is correct....Valbazen.

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

I've heard of something that you put in drops on their skin and it gets rid of worms and surface parasites also... what is it? Does anyone know and is it any good? Sounds easy and does a host of things at once. ? ? ?

8. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    mmaddie's mom. You're thinking of Ivermectin pour on. An excellent wormer, but doesnt kill tapeworms like Valbazen.

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Dawg...
    Thanks... that's it! Do I get that from a vet or at a Farm Supply store?

10. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    TSC has Ivermectin pour on, perhaps your local feed store might have it also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: