Worming chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chefgian, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chefgian

chefgian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    Hey all. I have some 2 month old chickens who have not been wormed, but are also not showing signs of worms. Do they have to be wormed. I am raising them organically and don't want to give them anything not absolutely necessary. Also, don't really want to give vitamins...is that ok?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:there are lots of things you can feed your chickens organically- that isnt a medication. If they dont have worms and your sure of it -feed them foods that help with internal worms to prevent it-pumpkin seeds are great when they are older-raw pumpkin seeds. If you do a bit of research there's a thread or two on here about fruits or veggies that help with worming...but getting rid of lice and mites is a different story-I havent read or heard of anything that is not a chemical to rid them of that:( good luck [​IMG] I dont give mine vitamins unless they look like they need help or are ill

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

sprinkling cayanne pepper in their food is supposed to keep parasites unhappy and moving through the system.
    I also sprinkle DE in the coop, dustying areas, and nesting boxes just to keep as many bugs away as possible. inevitiably, they do get bugs... they are close to the ground, lying in the dirt... can't imagine it not happening.

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I've never wormed my birds...I guess if they were showing signs of worms I would but they seem to be all fat and happy.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Two month old chicks should only be fed chick starter/grower. Their organs are still developing and growing, adding anything else may have an adverse affect.

6. bowtie

bowtie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Quote:^ This... Also dust feed with food grade DE, it will kill parasites in the digestive tract...

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:DE is not a worm preventative nor a wormer... it is ineffective when it is wet...just like inside the wet innards of a chicken.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. bowtie

bowtie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Quote:DE is not a worm preventative nor a wormer... it is ineffective when it is wet...just like inside the wet innards of a chicken.

I said... "DE will kill parasites in the digestive tract" Which it will. It is not ineffective when used in this manner. It is proven to work this way... Do your research before posting erroneous information.

It will also help reducing flies in stools,....and using it with feed will increase the amount of nutrients absorbed by the digestive track in any animal or human...

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

I said... "DE will kill parasites in the digestive tract" Which it will. It is not ineffective when used in this manner. It is proven to work this way... Do your research before posting erroneous information.

It will also help reducing flies in stools,....and using it with feed will increase the amount of nutrients absorbed by the digestive track in any animal or human...

ASK ANY VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Now I'm really confused - one says it wiil - another says it will not - what's a mother to do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by