Worming Chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spies04, Nov 23, 2011.

1. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    How often do you use a worming medicine on chickens and which is the best to use? Also, what are the systems if you poultry has worms or lice?

thanks!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    I use Valbazen and it works great and i use it every 4 weeks but you could use it Spring and Fall if you wanted. And a 14 day egg withdrawel

4. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:Why do you worm every 4 weeks? If there is a 14 day withdrawal period, do you ever get to eat the eggs?

5. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Don't worm your chickens unless you know for sure if the have any - just worming them because you think they might have them isn't a good idea -

6. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
  7. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Can you give me the symptoms of worms or lice? I am not sure what I would be looking for.

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:These are just the things I have noticed: lethargy, poor laying when they should be laying well, a general "sick" look with lessened scratching and enjoying life, they have a more quiet and sleepy attitude, and the most obvious: look at the poop where they roost. If you see a worm in the poop, you know why they've been acting off. Just wormed my flock yesterday because I saw a worm! [​IMG]

9. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:Why do you worm every 4 weeks? If there is a 14 day withdrawal period, do you ever get to eat the eggs?

B/C in our area the worms are very common. and Yes we do get to eat the eggs. Sometimes we do it every 6 weeks. I would suggest you just do it annually or twice a year [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:These are just the things I have noticed: lethargy, poor laying when they should be laying well, a general "sick" look with lessened scratching and enjoying life, they have a more quiet and sleepy attitude, and the most obvious: look at the poop where they roost. If you see a worm in the poop, you know why they've been acting off. Just wormed my flock yesterday because I saw a worm! [​IMG]

Yes, but the biggest symptom of worms is losing weight. If they start looking skinny all of a sudden, then you want to look into it.

We don't have a big worm problem - once a year works fine here.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by