1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lydia, May 26, 2008.

1. Lydia

Lydia Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Is there a specific time frame in which I should worm my chicks, if at all? What type of wormer should I use and where do I find it? How often does this need to be done?

Thanks!

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They say you can worm with DE (though mostly used as a preventative) and Pumpkin seeds too [​IMG] There's also this spray..... http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html But, I don't know much more than that [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I never wormed my flock till they were about two years old and then only because I saw a worm in a rooster's poop. Before that, I wormed the only bird I ever bought as an adult, my rooster Hawkeye, since he came from not so wonderful surroundings.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well some poeple worm them at around 16 weeks to give a month before they lay...wormers and eating the eggs are not hand in hand most of the time.

I am still deciding whether I am going to worm the girls at 16 weeks or not.

5. What do you worm with?

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    There are wormers specifically for poultry...one is called wazine but I am not sure it works for all worms. Contact your local feed store...hopefully someone will give us the names of the stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by