Worming/coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by millemeghs, Aug 28, 2014.

1. millemeghs

millemeghs New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    I need some advice.
    We "rescued" about 15 hens and a rooster from a seller on Craigslist. It was dark when we went, so I wasn't able to look over them that closely - but after unloading them here, we realized several of the hens had messy behinds and were lethargic. The next day, they had bloody poop + were fluffed up/eyes closed, and a couple died that day. So, I started treating them with Corid as described on here, and we are 3 days into treatment with everyone starting to perk up and the droppings aren't as yucky anymore (no blood, not as runny), HOWEVER, after inspecting them last night, we saw lots of small worms (they look like pinworms) and tapeworm segments in the poop. Several of the hens have very pale combs/faces, so I am guessing it is anemia.
    My question is, can I worm while treating with Corid, and what should I use?

Secondly, almost all of the chickens are missing a lot of feathers. Could this be from a parasite overload and poor care? The previous owner said they were moulting but I haven't seen so much featherloss in moults before. They are supposed to be 1.5 years old if the seller was telling the truth (who knows, though). They were only fed cracked corn at the previous farm, and here they are getting 16% layer pellets w/molasses mixed in (to help with the anemia), + free range + extra veggies leftover from our friends gardens. Is there anything else I can do to help them?

2. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    [​IMG]it sounds like their first owner didn't take care of them.
    i use D.E to deworm my birds. D.E will prevent worms not get rid of them. I've never dewormed with Corid. The feather lose may be stress or molting. Chickens can lose all their feathers when they molt. I've seen chickens go bald when they molt. they sound like they are being fed right. Chickens won't lay when they molt and they most likely won't lay until they are used to their new home.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    also look at some de worming threads for more de worming stuff. I don't know what to tell you about the pale combs. I've never had that happen before

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

You can use oral wormers like Valbazen or Safeguard and Corid at the same time. You might want to think about giving them Purina Flock Starter or a gamebird or turkey starter with free choice oyster shell until they start feeing better, both are much higher in protein. Not so sure molasses is good for them.

Valbazen (Albendazole) would be a good wormer to worm them with. Dose is ~0.2ml per 2.2 pounds by mouth and repeat in ten days.

Sample doses based on weights of hens in my flock:

Jersey Giant - 0.9ml
    Rhode Island Red - 0.5ml
    Bantam Cochin - 0.25ml
    Old English Bantam - 0.1ml

You should probably dust them for mites and lice with poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder. Mites can cause anemia.

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by