Worming: Does anyone know of a practical use for discarded eggs? In the garden, perhaps?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goonius, Feb 13, 2017.

1. goonius

goonius Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    I am so pained over the idea of having to completely discard dozens of eggs that have been amassed during our two rounds of treatment in our four backyard hens. We have been treating with fenbendazole, and are on the second round starting today; so that'll be another two weeks of eggs we can't eat. Has anyone found a "use" for eggs they have to discard? Like for fertilizing plants? We usually have compost for these sorts of things, but it is in the backyard where the chickens are, and the chickens feed from the compost, so this doesn't seem like the best idea -- I don't want to overdose our birds. So I was thinking more a method of directly applying the eggs in some form to our front yard plants where we have very poor soil. I'm wondering if attempting something like this would just be a smelly disaster... Thoughts or experiences?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I wouldn't since the whole reason for discarding them is medication inside the eggs. I wouldn't want to put that all around my property. That's one way to help build resistance in the parasites in the area, I suspect.

3. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    X2

4. goonius

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    Ah, I hadn't thought of that, but that does make sense. [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. goonius

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    I'm confused. What other solution? At least one of the birds had roundworms. Live ones. In her poo. What other solution is there?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Maybe next time have a fecal done and treat with a different wormer? In some countries there is no egg withdrawal time for Wazine (piperazine), Safeguard or Panacur (fenbendazole), or Flubenvet (flubendazole).

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry, didn't know that.

9. karenej

karenej Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2016
    Northcentral Alabama
    If they're fertilized you could hatch them out.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I like the way you think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by