Worming ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Learningstill, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Okay, everyone around me who has ducks does not worm. It wasn't until reading on this site that I have ever heard of this.

Who does it?
    Why?
    How often?
    With what?
    How to know correct dose?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this out. Thank you!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For what it's worth, I have not yet. I may need to, but it will be when I have cause to think they have worms.

3. mariehanson

mariehanson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Northern England, UK
    I bought my ducks about 10 weeks ago and was told that worming was best to be preventive rather than reactive, in other words do it regularly to prevent the ducks getting worms and becoming ill rather than trying to treat them after they already have them. So I dutifully bought some verm-x worming pellets (its reasonably priced on ebay) which you get a small measuring spoon with. One scoop per bird mixed in with their normal pellets for 3 consecutive days every month. I believe there is a liquid form too where you can add it to their drinking water.
    However, the site where I bought my ducks from has now issued some new advice where they are now saying that worming should only be done if the birds have worms. This is to prevent the worms becoming resistant to worming medication. So now I am confused as to what is best but I think I might just continue until I run of product. Here is the article from the website where I bought my ducks:

http://www.happychicks.co.uk/mall/p.../_eggsamine/226484/Eggsamine - Worm Egg Count

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I believe this would be if using chemicals for worming, VermX is using natural herbs etc which is what I use too, I only worm every 3 months though by adding it to their feed.

5. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Hey,

Does anyone happen to know if raw pumpkin seeds would worm ducks? I read it does chickens, but I cannot tell if it would apply to other types of poultry.
    Thanks!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have heard of that, but have not tried it on the ducks.

7. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

It thought seeds were not good for ducks...I read it can cause diverticulitis?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking that maybe like the bird seeds you by in the store for wild birds. chopped pumpkin seeds would be different.

9. Ivory T

Ivory T New Egg

Jun 5, 2017
    Does anyone know if you can catch worms from ducklings?

chickens really likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not too likely or I am worm infested....lol....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by