Worming for first time - please double check my plan!

anwhite

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2015
The Valley, AZ
If it's not one thing with my pullets, it another! Today, one of them had a spaghetti looking worm in her poop. I'm assuming its round worms, and was able to get ahold of wazine from the feed store. I have spent hours reading all of the posts on deworming, and I think I have a good plan of attack. However, this is my first time ever having chickens so I would really appreciate a thumbs up or down. Based on what I have read, and citing the first page of this thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423896/de-worming-chickens-with-goat-safeguard-fenbendazole I am thinking:

24 hours Wazine at 30 ml per gallon (back of the bottle dosage, started this afternoon)
14 days of nothing
3 days of Safeguard 10% for goats at 3 ml per gallon

I can't get ahold of valbazen locally, so based on my reading, the fenbendazole 10% from amazon is the next best thing, right? I definitely want something that can go in their drinking water just to make this all as easy on everyone as possible.

Chickens aren't laying yet, but if the start, then it will have a 2 week withdraw after each medication.

And just for you amusement, I called a feed store I have never been to to see if they carried valbazen. The guy tried to tell me that the reason my chickens have worms has nothing to do with them being free range, and was the result of bad feed because I didn't buy it from their store! I couldn't hang up the phone fast enough!

Welcome to BYC. I got a good laugh out your last couple of sentences. Thanks!
Like Enola mentioned; safeguard liquid goat should be given orally to each chicken, 1/2cc orally undiluted, 3 days in a row. Mixing it in water is ineffective, it settles to the bottom...been there done that.
When using wazine, it's best to put it out first thing in the morning before letting your birds out of the hen house. That is when they are the hungriest and thirstiest and will readily drink the treated water. It must be their sole source of water to drink during that day. Then discard after they go to roost for the night and then provide regular fresh water to drink.

Thank you both so much! I am so glad I asked, especially about the safeguard. Since it should not be put in water, and my chickens are pretty skidish, can I go the bread route that I have read about where I put the 1/2 cc in a small piece of bread and each gets one? Is there a good way to make sure they each eat one?

Yep, catch every single one and feed it a piece of medicated bread. I cannot imagine trying to feed my chickens single pieces of bread and making sure eacj one got ONE piece. I have at least 4 hens that would be "right in my face" and 10 hens that would be as far away from me as possible.......

Thanks! This sounds like it will be interesting to attempt. I do think it will be easier than trying to catch each one and squirt the meds in their mouths, but I might change my mind about that assumption!

Back
Top Bottom