Worming help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beckyinva, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Beckyinva

Beckyinva Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    I have a flock of 7 that includes 2 bantam Cochin Roos about 10 weeks old. I lost an older hen to an illness. I started observing their poop more and found round worms. I treated them with Wazine 10 days ago. It seems the poop is better but every once and a while I find poop with a worm in it. I read that worming is hard on the chickens. Also, they are molting. Do I need to worm again? Thank you.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Id read the instructions on the Wazine label. I know that some recommend a second dose around 10 days after the first. The first dose kills the worms, but not the eggs - the second dose kills the new worms (i.e. eggs in the first de-worming dose).

Hope that helps
    CT

3. Beckyinva

Jan 29, 2012
    Thank you for your reply. Makes sense but I couldn't find anywhere on Wazine bottle where is says to reworm. Any other opinions???

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Wazine is good for round worms only. Yes, you should retreat them to get worms that hatche'd after the first worming. Did you know that there are several types of worms that chickens can have?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but one of my books says to repeat in three weeks. Ten days or three weeks... not sure, but it would be wise to repeat.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And as Enola pointed out, Wazine only treats large roundworms, so you might want to consider investing in some Valbazen.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Oh, my book also says that efficacy of Wazine in water is 80-100%, so it's quite possible that some of your chickens did not drink enough medicated water.

-Kathy

8. Beckyinva

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks! Does Valbazen treat roundworms too?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Given once and repeated in ten days, Valbazen treats large roundworms, cecal worms, capillary woms and possibly some species of tapeworms, though don't count on it. :D Gapeworms require three days, but don't worry about those. There are other worms that it will treat, too, just can't think of the names.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Valbazen also treats gizzard worms, but don't worry about those, 'cause I think they're more of an issue in waterfowl.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by