worming help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leedyfeathers, Aug 29, 2014.

1. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    ok i know that cucumber seeds,cyanne and pumpkin seeds are good for worming but does it cover all worms? and if not what other things can help thats natural? what others can i use that arnt natural that i can still eat eggs. and what kind of preventave measures are best.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    These natural products may work okay for worm prevention, but if you have a worm infestation already, they won't do much. It won't hurt your birds to give them those things, but it probably won't help.

You're better off with an non-natural dewormer. All of these dewormers will have a withdrawal period for which time you shouldn't eat the eggs. This usually is for around 10 days to two weeks. One common dewormer is Wazine. I don't really recommend it though, as it only kills roundworms.

The two best dewormers are Safeguard (for goats- liquid or paste), and Valbazen. Valbazen is probably the best one, but can be expensive. The wormer that I use, The Worminator, is also good, but not as many people use it. I've had success with it, though. I don't personally use the Safeguard or Valbazen, so I'm not completely sure where to get them, but here's where I get the Worminator: https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

If your birds free range or have access to the ground and to insects, there's not much you can do to prevent them from getting worms. That's why its good to deworm chickens at least twice a year (spring and fall), even if you don't notice any significant symptoms. By the time you see a droopy bird or worms in the droppings, the infestation is already pretty large.

Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  3. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    well i just found out about gape worm i dont see visualy any need to worm but i dont want an infestation either and i have a worm schedual for goats calf and horses we have and just figure they need one.

4. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    If you aren't seeing any signs of gapeworm, they probaby don't have it. But, they could have other worms. How old are they? Generally, if birds are less than 5 or so months old, you don't need to deworm. I myself don't usually deworm until 6-8 months.

5. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    they are 24weeks and 18weeks

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What is the active ingredient in the Worminator?

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I just called them and the person that knows what the active ingredient is out of the office until Tuesday. The nice gal that answered the phone says they get a big bottle from England and re-package it into the smaller ones with a dropper.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You should invest in a bottle of Safeguard (fenbendazole) for goats or Valbazen (albendazole). One can get Safeguard at Tractor Supply or online and Valbazen is usually purchased online. Valley Vet and Jeffers should hav both.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    From what I've read, it is pyrantel pamoate.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I mean this in a nice way, but that really seems unlikely. Why would one import Pyrantal from England when it can be purchased here for way less? To the best of my knowledge, Pyrantal is not a very effective wormer, especially if only one or two drops are given.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by