Worming- I did

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ole rooster, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I put the Wazine 17 in the water like the instructions said. 2 tablespoons to a gal. They may have drank a pint of it. The nest morning there were pinkish round worms about a 1 and a half long on the poop. I went about the yard picking up what I could find and still at times found a worm in the poop. This morning I replaced that water with fresh water with ACV in it. Now I'm told to do the same thing over again in 14 days. Then after that when do I worm with the Valbazen? Is there a waiting period after the Wazine dose or should I do it before the 14 day waiting period.

I did notice not all the birds had worms. The BO's seemed to be the worst. I know where each one roost so I've learned what pile belongs to whom. I know my birds buy there poop. [​IMG] Now bout that?

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I'd have just used the Valbazen if you can get it easily enough and skipped the Wazine. In 2 wks just use the Valbazen (or Safeguard paste), don't even bother with Wazine. Wazine *only kills roundworms (as you saw) but the other 2 kill all the other worms. (Except supposedly Safeguard doesn't kill tapes. Some claim it does but I don't know).

3. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The reason I used the Wazine is it was posted a chicken could die if there are two many different kind of worms were trying to be expelled at the same time. I don't know. This is the first time I've ever wormed chickens. I done my horses, cows, and dogs but never a chicken.

4. blackwater88

blackwater88 New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Just curious-what made you deworm your chickens? Where you seeing worms or is this something I should be doing routinely like with horses?
    Thanks-Sarah

5. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Sarah........I did because I have one hen with a runny butt. I'm trying to find the reason for that. Plus they are right at 9 months old and have not been wormed before. If they are like all other animals worm are a way of life. Today was day 3 since I first put the Wazine out. Today in a poop spot that was somewhat loose, I found a worm in it. So the worms are there and still coming out. Now I'm thinking if they have these, what else do they possibly have?

I did lose a 9 month old Arabian colt foal to blood worms and now I'm really spooked when it comes to worms in an animal. I bought him in Ok and brought him here to Georgia. I planned on him being my herd stud. He was suppose to have been on a worm program, but in 3 months he was dead. His gut ruptured from lack of blood. I wormed him but the damage had been done. I was to late.

6. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Quote:You need to use the wazine for 3 days in a row. Then 10-14 days later use another wormer. Valbazen is the most recommended. You should also be giving them probiotics such as yogurt.
    You will have to throw away eggs for 14 days after your second round of worming. So no eggs for 20 something days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by