1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming Ivermectin or Valbazen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lishah2000, Nov 10, 2011.

1. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to worm all of my birds, but don't know which to use. I haven't seen any worms, but I have some thin hens and want to be sure they don't have any.

It seems that Valbazen is a good choice, but I already have the Ivermectin and it expires soon, so I would like to use it. But at the same time I want to be sure to kill any worms they may have.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If it were me I'd use the Valbazen. If the Ivermectin is about to expire it might not work too well. I'm wasting almost an entire bottle of Ivermectin because I've gotten some Eprinex which kills exactly the same things but with no throwing eggs away. They don't get tapeworm though. If Valbazen does, sounds like the better choice in your situation.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I already have the Ivermectin and it expires soon

Ivomec actually has a shelf life of several years and will kill everything but tapeworms​

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    valbazen kills all the worms even tape worms and is gentler on their system also. Gloria Jean

5. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

I couldn't get the Valbazen locally and had to get Safeguard anyway, so I'm going to use it this time. I didn't want to wait any longer to start them.

I'm reading they should be dosed again in a few weeks. I can get the Valbazen by that time or use the Safeguard again.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed and there's one wormer...I can't remember which one, might ask speckled...that is said to cause feather deformities when given during a molt. I usually worm during their molt and like that valbazen is safe to give during that time.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Agreed and there's one wormer...I can't remember which one, might ask speckled...that is said to cause feather deformities when given during a molt. I usually worm during their molt and like that valbazen is safe to give during that time.

You dont want to use safeguard (fenbendazole/panacur) during molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by