1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worming problem in chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Birdman1952, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Birdman1952

Birdman1952 New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Can anyone help me with this question? My young (3 month old) pullets are very thin and I suspect worms so I used Wazine several days ago. How soon can I use it again? The pullets are rail thin yet have good appetites and I just moved them into a new clean pen. Can I use Wazine weekly until they are better?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Have you checked them for mites and lice? Are you feeding them something semi-high in protein like chick starter or Purina Flock Raiser? How does their poop look? Coccidiosis is also a possibility, though they usually don't want to eat when they have it.

If they were mine I wouldn't use Wazine, I'd buy some Safeguard for Goats, weigh each one and then give each one 0.2ml to 0.5ml orally for 5 days. And for the next two weeks I would feed them turkey or gamebird starter (25-30% protein).

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

12 weeks old seems awfully young to have such a heavy worm load as to cause serious weight loss already. Not impossible I guess but young. I would check for all the things Casportpony mentioned as well as deworming with the Safeguard.

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It does seem young, doesn't it, but I have heard of a few peafowl breeder losing same age peachicks to capillary worms which is why I suggested the worming for 5 days.

I guess it's possible that they had coccidiosis when younger and that has caused permanent damage to their intestines and reduced their ability to digest nutrients properly. But that's just a guess, so don't quote me on that.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. Birdman1952

Birdman1952 New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Thank you very much for your input. Would I be safe to give them medicated turkey starter? It is 28% protein and medicated.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, it's safe... I feed many ducks, chickens, peafowl and turkeys medicated starter.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by