1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Worming Q

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beachchickie, Aug 8, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    You can't eat the eggs of the hens you are worming? Is there any natural wormer that wont cause problems?

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    I tried DE mixed in their food when the eggs began to become fewer and smaller. Things didn't improve until I wormed with wazine followed two weeks later with eprinex ivermectin. Egg size has returned to large/extra large and production increased dramatically. I am not saying that DE isn't effective, I perhaps waited too long to start, or didn't fully understand its usage. My birds are much better looking now, but you are correct, a month of tossing eggs is really a bummer - but the chickens are much better for it. I know of no other 'natural' treatment. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  3. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I don't know if my girls need worming. They seem to be laying fine and they look healthy. What would I look for or do I just worm them anyway?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Some folks never worm, others worm only if they find worms in the stools. I choose to worm once a year. A loss of weight, the color of their combs being "off", just a run down look is what you'd see. Most animals, chickens included, can handle a small worm load fine.
    I use valbazen (albendazole) which is a cattle/sheep wormer, used "off label". Valbazen is also commonly used to treat worms in humans. Ivermectin is another cattle wormer, used off label.
    Valbazen has a two week egg withdrawel time, meaning you toss eggs for two weeks.
    IMO, DE is more of a preventive than an actual wormer. It won't take care of a large worm infestation. Another natural wormer some folks swear by is buttermilk and pumpkin seeds. If you do a search, keywords "pumpkin seeds" you'll probably find multiple threads on their use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by