1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worming question/s

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shellyga, Jul 18, 2011.

1. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I am about to worm my flock of layers for the first time.. I bought Wizene (not sure that is how it is spelled)- the only wormer my TSC had and it was on my list from notes on BYC

It says to not use the eggs for human consumption but not a time period.. for other animals it states 14 days

Questions:
    1. How long will the eggs be affected?

2. I realize you can't eat the eggs.. and might be a silly question.. but are they hatchable?

Thanks
    Shelly

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Two weeks egg withdrawel is the rule of thumb. I wouldn't try to hatch the eggs either, but maybe that's just me.

Be aware that Wazine only treats roundworms. Other worms can still be present after worming.

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Im worming with chemical wormer for the first time right now. Fenbendazole for 3 days.
    After the pictures of roundworms in the eggs, I decided once wouldnt hurt! lol
    I usually put DE in their food, and every so often I use Molly's Wormer in their food.
    I pinched up a slice of bread and drizzled the Safeguard over it and dropped the bread crumbs on the ground. They (5 hens) gobbled it up. Panacur/Safeguard is a very safe wormer. Its what I give to my poodle puppies.

pam in TX

4. shellyga

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    is there a wormer that you can recommend gritsar..and where to buy it.. I would prefer one that can be in the water... versus something individual..

I appreciate any help you can give..

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The only one I know of that goes in the water is the wazine. (There may be others, but valbazen is all I've ever used) You could try the Safeguard that pjknust recommended, but I'm not sure how you can determine that each chicken gets the correct dosage.

I use valbazen (albendazole). You get it at most feed stores in the cattle section. However, it does have to be given individually. You can do this in the morning, before the birds are turned out for the day or at night, after they've gone to roost.

Here's some info. that I just posted for another BYCer:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=542690

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. shellyga

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    thanks.. with close to 100 birds.. I was looking for something easy.. but I also want to make sure to get all types of worms..so will do what is necessary for the health of the birds.. I will try to find valbazen..
    I appreciate your help

7. rockbottompottery

rockbottompottery Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    portland oregon
    HI good friend of mine worms her hens by crushing a garlic clove in the water. She claims it works great and does it once a month. Giving them garlic doesn't effect the eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by